Thread: 'All balls" steering head bearing help.

So I put a set of all balls bearings in. and torqued the capnut to spec 38-42ft/lbs but the front end seemed to drag a bit.

at slow speeds it ~10 Under it will make an "s" back and forth, and is very twitchy in slower turns.

Obviously with them being tapered rollers the capnut torque is alot more key then with the sealed roller bearings.

Anybody have some different torque specs for the tapered roller?

Thanks as always guys!

I've seen a couple people complain about issues like this with the all balls steering neck bearings.

I used them and it is silky smooth, I'm not sure what I did different than the rest of you.

when I installed them, I over torqued them(slightly) then loosened them. I did this a few times then torqued them to spec. This ensures all the slack is taken out of them, and will make sure they are tight and not sloppy.

The tapered roller bearings should actually be a little more forgiving than the stock ball bearings(larger contact area to spread the load).

What do you mean by it makes an "s"?

Stupid question, but you packed the bearings with grease...right?

If I coast with hands off the bars the head will go left then right left then right pretty much making an s.

the head movement is very pronounced. and for me not uncommon to coast without hands. It just doesn't feel the same and I don't like it.

It cured my high speed wobble but now I have a low speed wobble!

My Buell doesn't want to be a street bike it wants to be a track bike it keeps taking me through imaginary chicanes ;)

oh yeah packed like any good roller bearing should

You say the tapered rollers are more forgiving.

more forgiving to abuse or stress.

but torquing the capnut actually presses the bearing further together.

where with the stock rollers more torque would just press on the inner race and possibly bind the bearing not such much as effect bearing freeplay

I think the same thing would happen with the stock bearings as the tapered roller bearings with over torque. The stock bearings have a U shaped groove in the outer race and I think too much torque would have it binding on that groove just the same.

Hard to see in this pic, but the ball bearings sit in a groove in the outer race:

I would at least try over tightening(slightly) and loosening a few times to take out any slack, then tighten to spec.

I don't remember when I did mine, I may have moved the bars back and forth as I tightened it to get to the sweet spot. I do remember when I was done though it was right at the spec from the service manual. I wouldn't be concerned if it is best at slightly under(or over) spec, as long as there's not slop and it's nice and tight.

Theoretically though, it should take the same amount of torque, as the bearings are identical in size(I measured with a caliper).

Drax, I was talking with someone else who was having issues with the all balls bearings and he was able to correct his issue. See what he had to say below:

Sorry I wasn't sure if anyone was fallowing this. I posted a "new bike feeling" post and it pretty much explains that this kit worked out great!
    Here are my two cents on the kit/install:
    -I think that the overall distance between the trees changes just slightly with this kit due to the dust covers.
    -The forks ABSOLUTELY have to come out of the trees. I tried to keep the lower tree and forks together but that just wasted more time in having to redue everything. The forks wouldn't sit into the upper tree the same as with the old bearings.
    -The bearing races don't have to be pressed into place but it is a MUST that they are properly seated. After I decided to start from scratch I used a 10in long 5/8 bolt, the nut that fit the bolt, two hefty washers and the old bearings(with the washers covering them) flipped upside down on either end of the bolt to slowly press the races into place.
    -GREASE. Lots of grease to pack the bearings and insure that if there is any void between the dust cover and bearing that void will be filled with healthy grease! Also to lightly coat the races. Can't hurt having a little extra corrosion protection.
    The bearings feel great. The stearing feels awesome. Extremelly smooth and NO MORE clunkiness during heavy braking. I vary happy with this kit.... ....so far

If you aren't loosening the lower triple tree then maybe that is the issue???