Thread: Old gas

I just bought another bike.Didnt want to but was to good of a deal to pass up. 1997 yamaha virago xv1100 with 3000 miles yes three thousand miles. original owner. I knew it was gonna be a lot of gum and gunk in the tanks yes it has two gas tanks and carbs.the bike is in awesome shape. but the gunk turned hard like epoxy.the bike had not been started in 8years and not much before that ether does anyone know of a solvent or such that will remove this stuff.

Head over to the VTF, they have Virago specific brains :D

http://viragotechforum.com/index.php
    Is it just in the tank, or are the carbs gummed up too.? Seafoam is good at it, If its in the heads, steam clean it.

I used muriatic acid and rocks in my '71 Iron Sporty tank that had been sitting for almost 15yrs with fuel in the tank. It was bad News, but I filled up the tank about 2/3-3/4 full of acid then dropped a number of rocks in there from my yard and sloshed it around, let it sit, sloshed it around, let it sit. drained it all out and put fresh acid in there. repeat process. After a week it was clean as a whistle. Oh be sure to equal out the ph...baking soda and water will do perfect.