Thread: power on, power off, power on...dead!

While riding to work yesterday, had a sudden power lose, then power back up, then she went dead. No lights, nothing, all fuses okay, got clicking sound and felt the ignition relay doing it's thing, but nothing else...puzzled? Checked the battery voltage @ 12.9v and turned ignition on, got the same clicking sound from relay and this time slight illumination on cluster(neutral and engine lights) and then nothing. Anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

update...replaced relays and diodes, problem still the same. Battery checks ok, cables tight, all wires ok. Still have clicking noise from fuse/relay box and can feel 'em energized. Still no response from anything, no cluster lights, gauge needle movements, no fuel pump turning on, no starter engagement. WTF? over! anyone have any ideas?

Have it checked under Load at any Auto Parts store - it's free. You can't go by static readings when checking batteries. Hope it's that simple. If still checks good, post back up...

so just checked out stator and voltage regulator, all good according to manual, tried the ignition again, still the same clicking from fuse/relay box, very dim cluster lights as before mentioned, BUT this time after turning ignition off, both needles on cluster cycle just like if you're turning the ignition on...now really baffled about what's going on? I'll take the battery in and have checked under a load...

my son used his battery tender on the bike after removing the battery and she fired right up...turned out to be the battery and my multimeter being crap:D also found on the side of the battery a rub mark from the main wire harness that almost wore through the battery casing, the harness is fine...

Stevenc150...good call on putting the battery on a load, I was over thinking the problem only to find my 16 yr old figured it out in like two minutes...getting old sucks:)

When the clock resets, it's a power loss. Rules out a lot of other things.

Sounds like you need to take the bike out for longer runs to keep both of you happy.

Nice to get it running again.

new battery installed this morning and absolutely no issues to and from work today:D 44 miles one way to work, with traffic about an hour ride...

discovered something else while investigating what the heck went wrong, turns out she's got a Race ECM installed, knew about the pro-series oil pump and exhaust when I bought her, but never had any reason to unbolt the ECM before 'til last night, duh...smack hand on forehead:p