Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to attach frame covers?

I just got the mdi frame covers,thinking they would come with double sided tape......wrong! So how did you guys attach your frame covers?

They should have come with epoxy.

use adhesive tape

The frame cover in Carbon for the Buell XB models complements the vehicle and provides additional protection of the vehicle from damage. The assembly of the parts is effected by adhesive tape supplied and / or the use of original recording points. Carbon was the part according to the latest guidelines in an autoclave made entirely of prepreg (see FAQ) and material covered in the next step, as usual with us, to protect against environmental influences with a clear plastic coating. This plastic coating is better than the usual clear coat enormously in the protection of carbon fiber parts. But not the technical properties of the coating, it also underlines the

http://shop.ilmberger-carbon.de/carb...-/-12-r?c=2195

I would use a couple(even a few) dots here and there of RTV silicone to do the sticking ... That **** "glues" everything ! :D

What is everyone doing about the intense galvanic corrosion that occurs between aluminum and carbon fiber?

Nothing. These aren't airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Nothing. These aren't airplanes.
    LOL, I don't think I can ignore it because I work on airplanes everyday! The chafing that could occur between the cover and the frame can rapidly turn into a frame weakening situation. I've got these Speed of Color frame covers for my SS and they appear to have some kevlar or aramid fiber on the puck area to bolster the abrasion resistance - the frame covers are beautiful for sure, but the left side of my frame has a dent where the puck used to be and a few areas have worn through the paint/anodizing/whatever it is. I need to have some kind of spacing between the two... and I'm still not sure what kind of adhesive to use, keeping in mind that I live in an extremely hot climate.

As long as you dont sand the paint off the frame before attaching carbon fiber DIRECTLY to the frame, you should be OK.

In this case, I'd attach the side rails with some 3M double sided tape. The tape (and resulting air gap where there is no tape) will create an insulating layer between the aluminum and carbon. I'd recommend using tape found at an actual auto body supply shop (not Auto Zone or O'reillys). They will have a tape used for holding side moldings to car bodies. If prepped and installed correctly that bond will probably outlive the bike.

As long as they are isolated and cant chafe, you should be okay. They key is to install it correctly and keep an eye on it to be aware of any problems that can arise. Since you work on airplanes and are aware of the issues, you should be much further ahead of the curve than most of the people who just ride until there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    LOL, I don't think I can ignore it because I work on airplanes everyday!
    Nailed it! Lol. How did I know?? The issue came up in airplanes (and I think Indy cars back in the day?) that were dealing with lots of flex, extreme temp changes, and static electricity. None of which are an issue with your Buell motorcycle.

34:19 is totally right. The paint layer and the gap is plenty to avoid any issue. There will be some unavoidable rubbing, but not enough to be a concern. If you want to install them, get the legit "3M trim tape" and just stick them on. You can get it at Home Depot. It doesn't take much, that stuff is crazy hard to remove.

I really don't think it's worth it but for your piece of mind, can you fit a layer of something like sheet rubber or foam between the two pieces?

I ended up taking the bike to a shop named Hi Speed Customs right around the corner from my office. They have a motorcycle shop and I know some of the fellas that work there because I've been working in my office for almost 10 years. They've got a master aluminum welder who was willing to fix my tank/frame dent for a reasonable price, but when I contacted EBR they turned me off the welding idea because the inner liner of the tank would have to be reinstated.

So I got some aramid reinforced carbon frame covers from Speed of Color since they're one of only a handful of retailers that can get a hold of Lightning Long frame covers. Unfortunately, the dent in my tank has not only dented inward, but has created a bulge as well. This creates a problem even when trying to cover it up with a frame cover since it doesn't fit quite perfectly. The Hi Speed guys are going to take a closer look at it today, but they're saying that the bulge in the tank needs to be tapped back down. I'm concerned about work hardening the aluminum, but we'll see what they say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast