Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Relay Clicking/No Start

I'm new to motorcycles so i'm not sure what is typical, but even with the engine revved it still cuts off. Where is break even charging occuring on a buell?

unless you had the batt charged and load tested, it is irrelevant at what rmp it cuts off. It is way to hard to troubleshoot through the internet.
    It will charge at 14 volts at idle, but some will creep up to 14 as they warm. It all depends.
    Do you have a volt meter to test with? If you have an emergency jump box, you may be able to swing it in for the battery, but again Its hard to say over the internet.

I will replace the battery tomorrow and begin trouble shooting from section 7-25 of the tech manual

You will most likely have to charge the replacement as well, unless you have a shop do it. Sorry I wish you lived closer...

It was raining yesterday so I didn't get to check the charging system, but did replace the battery.

Cranks and runs fine, but I want to check out the charging system to see if it was a bad battery or something else.

Seems that the battery was the issue.

Don't buy from batteries plus!

Can anyone recommend a solid battery?

The stock Harley battery is a great choice. It's made to turn over these big V-twin beasts.

Make sure all connections are tight and rust free. It sure sounds as if you weren't charging while you ride. Not too sure but once boosted to start as with a car you should run off rectifier and regulator so that is a high suspect along with pinch or chafe wires.

A cheap, but good enough multi meter for an occasional user to diagnose minor problems can be had at your local parts store. from 15 for an analog to 50 for a digital. cheaper than a new battery...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12