Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "SPOT" capable GPS unit???

I realize it is not a big market, but right now SPOT has it wrapped up. Just the ability to summon help when there is no cell service is worth the price, and it isn't cheap! $170 for the unit and $99/year for the service.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/s...to-your-bluet/
    I can't believe Garmin/Magellan/TomTom haven't integrated some of this into their product line. Going to research Sirrus and XM this afternoon and see if they offer anything. If I had a rear view mirror I would just order Onstar.:D
    Raz

Not wanting to create a "mine is better than yours" situation,but,
    I was just responding to this statement /\

Sorry I couldn't help myself. It's like when someone says, "not to offend you but". You know something offensive is following. Maybe a pet peeve

Although I do have a bias opinion (Android that is)

A jailbroken iPhone has nothing to do with open source by the way. Jailbreaking just allows you to download third party apps which Android is capable of stock.

My reference to open source was referring to gaining root access w/ s-off and being able to build/flash custom ROMS, Kernals, Mods, etc...

Raz sorry to get off topic on your thread but the SPOT looks interesting. From what I read your still going to need a smartphone though. Although I don't know that spot is all that necessary. I got a new phone right after the Dragon and since I've used my old Android (HTC Evo 4G) as a GPS speedo without cell service activated. With that said if your just using it as tracking the GPS in the phone may be sufficient especially if one of the apps listed above would be suitable for your situation.

Now I'm not sure if you can use the GPS for navigation without cell service.

I have an app called Diablo Super Biker by Pirelli that will track your route, speed, and even lean angle. Pretty cool app but I think you have to save and upload the the route.

Good luck finding something Raz and keep us updated on your trip

additionally with a smart phone you gain alot more tools than just the GPS abilities. There are apps for websites like gas buddy, which is nice because it will show you gas stations near your location. haha when that fuel light comes on, you need gas NOW!

You also gain weather reports, the ability to locate food. And even the ability to get here on the forum and potentially meet up with people on your trip. You can even use it for internet radio (pandora) and save loads of $$ on satellite radio.

Smart phones aren't 'phones' in my eyes. They're little pocket computers with a phone on it.

I actually had thought about making an app that would act as a 'dead mans switch' if you turn it on and don't move for a certain amount of time it would call or text message someone to check up on you. I thought that'd be a great "tool" for us bike riders.

Suppose your riding along and have a bad accident in the middle of nowhere, now you've got two broken arms (somehow) and can't call anyone! Dead man's switch to the rescue! I suppose it'd a dark thought, but it's something that could happen.

jaimz- I know what you are saying and I am starting to warm up to owning a smart phone. I'm tight though and I like my Tracfone. I tell everyone that I am very strong mechanically butt electrons always byte me in the ass.
    And the options are endless with good smart phone coupled with one of the helmet comm systems. As long as I can block all incoming calls and still use the phone for navigation purposes. I have 3 years to prepare, I just want to spend my money wisely.
    Raz

Oh 3 years!? Technology is going to be widely different then!

Right now I ride with a small Bluetooth headset for music. I've got an app that shows my speed, bearing, altitude, weather, map (if I want) and it alerts me to the locations of speed cameras!

I just ignore incoming calls although I can turn off my incoming calls.

I have my phone mounted right in front of my break reservoir where I can just click the screen with my right thumb. I have a waterproof and dust proof case for it. It works quite well. I also like being able to just look down an see a digital speedo. Not to mention its pretty sweet at night.

I've recently seen Bluetooth helmets. I think from bell?

That sounds alot like the set up I hope to have. Even though I'm tight I still have expensive tastes.
    My dream helmet:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...3-world-helmet
    Plus another $400 for the comm system. Maybe if I win the lottery.;)
    Raz

$400! Seems like what I've got but with larger buttons.

Mine was nearly 10x cheaper http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052YFYFK. LG HBS-700

Mine is just for Bluetooth to my phone. The $400 dude probably has 2-way push to talk. Mine doesn't. But I alway ride alone, so it's all I need.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12