Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting started building a custom exhaust

Getting started building a custom exhaust

Here's the story. I've modified my stock '08 XB12 muffler a number of times. I think I'm coming to the limit. Currently, it's essentially a U pipe from behind the valve to the back then back to the front chamber. The back and middle chambers are welded off. Exit in the front, only sound dampening is from the front chamber and the fiberglass or whatever it is the front tip of the muffler.

But it's not loud enough! And the timbre of the sound isn't quite what I'm looking for.

So I want to start construction (winter project) on a replacement pipe. What I want to do is attach at the header in the usual spot, then travel back down the left side of the bike, loop around the back in front of the rear wheel, up the right side, then exit at the front right. At this point, I want start with a long straight pipe, but depending on sound and response, may add baffles or a mild muffler later.

Something like this eventually:

I love the handling of the Buell, but one of the reasons I bought it was for the sound. I want that strong 45-degree V-twin sound and the way I have the muffler now just isn't doing it for me. My brother's Buell has a Jardine, and I like the sound, but I want the longer pipe and a more durable concept, and without the loss of low end power.

I am a competent welder, and own a welder, and no problems doing iterative construction. The first thing I need is the part that attaches the pipe to the header. I've heard of using a Jardine elbow. What other options are there?

Any advice anybody has would be awesome. All suggestions considered.

Make your own elbow

If your a competent welder and fabricator it would be easiest. The Jardine will dump in the middle. You probably need to be offset

Edit.

Double post

So find a pipe that slips over the collector and go from there? Anybody know what size that is off hand? I'd rather have a stack of supplies before putting my bike out of commission for a few weeks.

If you wanna make a slip fit you will need a piping expander or I'm sure a muffler shop could expand your pipe for you for little money.

Gpr makes a reverso that doesn't sound bad from the video clips I've heard.

Nitto12ss has a reverso type muffler in his Lightning. You may want get in touch with him.

I do like the reverso, but I'd like to build my own. Also, not inclined to spend that kind of cash for something I wouldn't want to cut up.

Depending on what and how your building it and from what materials you will equally spend what an exhaust can cost. I don't know your fabrication skills though

Quote Originally Posted by Omiotek View Post
    Depending on what and how your building it and from what materials you will equally spend what an exhaust can cost.
    Not even close. I'm expecting to spend less than $100 on this project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast