, rubber, shifter, snapped, works, dumped, buell, offer, paint, broken, leave, stuck, great, concerned, damages, thing, house, cosmetic, custom, scratched, today, steel, , parking, 30mph, learn, defeated, totally, thought, beginner, spilled, learning, rider, harder, bought, black, clutch, wiggle, passenger, price, damage, parts, sides, luckily, needing, accelerator" /> Day 1 of learning to ride Buell XB9R. . . spilled it
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Day 1 of learning to ride Buell XB9R. . . spilled it

Hey ya'll, as you know I'm a beginner rider and I love Buell, so I went out and bought a 05 XB9R
    . . . harder than I thought to learn to ride, dumped it going about 30mph in a parking lot
    yeah Ik, I suck, I feel totally defeated. Had to call up my gf's dad for pick up

so here's the damage and I'm looking for any help ya'll can offer such as price of the parts I'll be needing, thanks!!

1.) pegs on both sides snapped off, luckily I put the passenger ones on for now
    2.) the shifter ( the black rubber part) that also snapped off :(
    3.) the clutch is lose, like I can wiggle it back and forth, but still works
    4.) the accelerator might be broken? it still works but does it usually turn back by itself when you let go? because now when I let it go, it gets stuck right where I leave it

that's most of it i think, the paint (thank God) was not scratched up, it's a custom blue job, but the steel part now has a dent in it, and there are other cosmetic damages, but nothing I'm concerned about

any help ya'll can offer me would be great, I'm just trying to ride:(

the bike i think is fine though, my gf's dad actually rode it back to my house for me (without the rubber shifter thing lol) and I actually dumped it twice today

so thanks again everyone!!

Bummer about the spill. I've always advocated learning how to ride (and crash) on a dirt bike since they're typically a LOT cheaper to repair and there's less chance of getting hit by a car out in the woods. Sure, trees do move around some and all that, but they're slow.

are you teaching yourself? if so, i'd suggest finding somebody who already knows how to ride give you some lessons. Most of your damage sounds cosmetic, except the dent in what i'm guessing is your frame/tank. I'd get some metal filler, or bondo and fill it back out, then put the frame pucks on it.

thanks for the tip for the dent!

my cousin and my gf's dad is teaching me kind of, I guess I just need more experience and get comfortable on it. . .

Do yourself a favor and just take an intro/safety class... most states will require you to anyway and you'll get a discount on insurance.

Similar thing happened to my buddy: he bought a brand new GSXR 600 and couldn't wait for his class. Ended up driving it into a fire hydrant at ~20 miles an hour, got freaked out and sold his bike and now I don't have anyone to ride with.

I started out on a Buell too and it's definitely not the easiest starter bike. Trust me and enroll in an MSF course before you dump it again. ;)

The throttle is probably just being "held" by the bar end. Look at the end of the handle bar....see if theres an adjustment screw. Loosen it up, then re adjust it and snug it back in but not too tight or you will have it grabbing the throttle tube again.

I have an extra clutch lever if yours is broke. They typically are a little loose and wiggle, but I'm not sure how to tell you I'd yours is bad I'd not.

I gotta beat 5-0Dro to the punch. Here is a website that will help save those parts from breaking, might be a good investment!

http://www.5-0dro.com/

thanks everyone! I was told to enroll in the rider's courses too, but I didn't want to because i wanted to learn to ride by this Tuesday (moving back to school, planned on taking bike with me) but I don't think I'm cut out for it. . .

@ CrazyTexan, I'll check out what's up with it, i just know when i dumped it, the end bulb part snapped off

@ xtreme, i'll be sure to check it out thanks!

Sell your Buell....and buy a honda 80 scooter.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast