Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch cable fraying

So I found a bunch of threads on replacing clutch cable an all but I just have a few questions. As I'm away at school my tools and space are limited. First do I need to drain all the oil from my bike? Also what do you think a dealer would charge to changes clutch cable? I'm not sure I have all the tools to do it correctly.

Local dealer here charges 80$. I think I paid 68$ for the cable itself.

Hi J20!
    It won't take a lot of tools to do it! A T-27 torx socket I think for the cover screws. I'm also not exactly sure at the adjuster...I got by with some metric wrenches at my buudy's place one nite...A 1/2" thru mabe 5/8"? I also think there is a hex headed boltsomewhere up front there too...a 10mm maybe? I realize im not much help here on exacts!! But a real basic socket set that includes a T-27 and a pair of the right size wrenches for the adjuster, and your set! NO..you needn't drop the oil. Its a good time to do it though! I'd also pick up a cover gasket...although you CAN get away re-using them most times, if your luck is like mine, your's will stick and tear when you pull the cover off!! It isn't really difficult at all! A little straight pocket screwdriver will come in handy too!! I forgot that! :)

So you don't need to drop the oil at all?

Of course he'll need to drain the oil or it'll be pouring out the clutch cable hole while he's swapping them out. Wiggle2

So all the oil out of secondary and primary or just primary needs to be drained?

Inactive
    So all the oil out of secondary and primary or just primary needs to be drained
    what steven said and you are confusing the issue. there is no such thing as secondary and primary and secondary/primary, etc.
    there is the engine oil...drain at bottom of left side of swingarm. then there is the primary/trans fluid. it is approx. 1 quart. the drain plug is at bottom of primary cover towards rear of same. and yes...i know of no way to remove cover and replace cable without draining the primary fluid.

okay thanks for clearing that up, so ill need approximately a quart of oil and the new clutch cable and that's it?

Maybe a new O-ring, just to be sure. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN. I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. I READ THIS ADVICE BEFORE I CHANGED MINE OUT...AND STILL BROKE IT. The part that screws into the primary is made of freaking glass...

Snug it up to o-ring, then STOP. I put thread sealer on mine just in case I did not even get up to the o-ring the 2nd time...no leaks now.

o ring for what? sorry im just getting ready to order everything. The harley dealer by me said they dont work on buells which is bogus so ill just do it in my kitchen in my apartment haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast