Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The knife is sharp and getting too close

If you need info I can try and find what I can for contacting them, where you need to go etc.
    Thanks, Im going to call the recruiter Friday when Im off and see what he says. I will take a bit of a pay cut if I do go but if push comes to shove I will have to do what I have to do. Im also looking a Customs because I will not have to move but the pay is a lot less.

il local 225 here

8 years in the navy taught me one important lesson, always go with job security. You may take a slight cut in pay but the dependability of a paycheck is far more important. i now work in the security field at a hospital. thats job security

Keep in mind your pay might not be up to par with what you got before you make the move but you should be intelligent enough to compare the benefits (health/dental/travel/etc...). That was a very big factor in my joining the military, I might not make as much as my father, but when I go to the doctor I don't have to pay jack...(plus I got about 30 years to catch up with what he's making anyway, I'll be retired by then :p)

If I knew then what I know now I would have stayed in the Marines and would be retiring next year. The good news from work yesterday was we are now working for the future. When this thing swings back the other way we will be set to control more of the market share and expand our production into markets that we could not compete before. My department is now scheduled out to March of 09' for new products and looks like we might actually need to hire someone in January time frame. That was a lot of weight off my back but we shall see if that holds up.

Good stuff Gator, wish you well in all that you do.

Good stuff Gator, wish you well in all that you do

As far as the economy goes...I saw this coming miles away. Maybe 4 years ago an "aquaintance" of mine ( ex-friend...but thats another story )bought a $350k house. Good for him right?....he makes less than $15 an hour. Thats got bad news written all over it. Combine that with sub-prime short term loans, and up to 120% financing and that spells DISASTER for the housing industry. Now the job loss comes into play thanks to NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) and the glory years of Slick Willy: Everyone wants things cheaper right?, always looking for a bargain. Well now with this trade agreement most of the manufacturing jobs have been sent out of country ( majority to Mexico and China ), many other companies have also followed suit ( like the call centers that we all love so much, India, Pakistan etc.) This puts Americans out of work, but makes the cost of products cheaper....so its a trade off. The drawback to this is that these people are being paid to do the work, but none of that money is making its way BACK to the US. Where before all this our country was like a big "bowl"...everything was re-circulated....now our "bowl" has a hole in it, where everything is leaking out, not being replenished.

There is no ultimate answer to fix these problems. Its going to take time...period. The American people are so used to living in an "on-demand" world with instant gratification...we have no patience. Jobs will be lost..yes, its a cycle, but the jobs will come back. People's wages will HAVE to be less, and people will have to actually start SAVING for purchases....wow, what a thought. ( instead of using credit to satisfy their need for "instant gratification" )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123