Thread: Bout to buy another XB, 5 Sense exam??

Guys as you know I have had many Xb's over the years and love to build and create new parts. Well it's time for a new chapter and I am about to travel a distance to buy a xb12. I am looking for advice on things to listen, look, smell and feel for. It has been a few years since I owned my last buell, so I want to know what I am buying the best I can. thanks!

Chris

Obviously check for signs of being laid down (especially handle bar ends because they can tell the tale)

If I was there I'd see if I could check the primary chain tension. I think that's a good indicator on him much love was given back to the bike. Also you get to check how clean or dirty the oil is :)

Also check for leaking engine covers after a test ride.

Sounds... Well on my bike all I can hear is an empty jardine and valves ticking!

I'd have to say if you've owned a few, you should know what to listen / look for.

Thanks so much. Yeah I have never had to do any mechanical work on any of them though, they were all excellent bikes.

What year are you looking at? If pre-06 I'd check shifting action for clunkiness.

Also a couple of Buell-specific points to check are drive belt, idler bearings, primary chain, and front end for noises...

Yeah it's an 04. I'm just hoping it doesn't need a buncha work. It is a good price though.

Inactive
    Guys as you know I have had many Xb's over the years
    if that's the case i'd think you would know what to "listen, look, smell and feel for" by now...as you put it.

signs of cylinder to case leak,tires give you idea how it was ridden,i love bone stock bikes when buying.clutch play,

Lunaticfringe: as stated "Yeah I have never had to do any mechanical work on any of them though, they were all excellent bikes." and " It has been a few years since I owned my last buell" Since we are quoting me. lol.