Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Highway RPM

Maybe someone will offer. If you were closer I'd offer if I felt comfortable with you riding the bike. Someone let me ride theirs before I bought one and it really convinced me to buy one.

If no one offers, find a sportster and go for a ride, put your feet on the rear passenger pegs, strap an electric heater under the seat blowing directly onto your right thigh, and close your eyes and imagine you're on a sport bike....that's pretty much the same feeling lol.

Chattyxb, if you ever make it to my neck of the woods, drop me a PM if i'm free you can check out my XB assuming its returned in the same condition it leaves in.

see good people here :)

Haha great analogy snrusnak

Im right at 4k and 80mph and Im a pretty big guy. Youd be suprised how much weight will change the rev range. Cant recall what I get 2 up though.

This thread is EXACTLY why I'm buying a Buell xb9sx. I hate having to stress-out at 6500 rpms on my SV650. I'm sooo looking forward to cruising at 3500.

Necro-thread resurrection not-withstanding, why are you afraid of high RPM? Engines, especially motorcycle engines are built for it and rather much more damaged by lugging them.

Ride it easy when cold, use the proper weight of oil for the temp you ride in, and don't let it sit. If you start it, RIDE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Necro-thread resurrection not-withstanding, why are you afraid of high RPM? Engines, especially motorcycle engines are built for it and rather much more damaged by lugging them.

I hate w/ my SV650 to ride down the road feeling I'm pushing the motor hard just to cruise at 72mph. That IMO is the appeal of a Buell...the lower rpm AND more power than the SV's 300cc smaller, lower torque : rpm ratio. The "sewing machine" zuki vtwin doesn't come close to the boosted sporster Vtwin Thunderstorm of the XB9Sx.

Necro threads are sometimes buried treasure to Buell newbies like me.

Quote Originally Posted by XB9-Vtwin View Post
    That IMO is the appeal of a Buell...the lower rpm AND more power than the SV's 300cc smaller, lower torque : rpm ratio. The "sewing machine" zuki vtwin doesn't come close to the boosted sporster Vtwin Thunderstorm of the XB9Sx.

You sure about this claim? I've owned a few 1st gen SV650's and a plethora of XB's... and while the 12 can outrun a SV650, its not by much. The 9 is pretty much equally matched. In the twisties a stock XB totally outclasses a stock SV, but for highway manners... you'll find yourself "looking for 6th" on the XB.

If you're turning 6500 at 72mph on an SV, are you sure someone hasnt changed the gearing on it? IIRC mine would do 75 @ 5500.

I'm not saying you wont enjoy your XB9SX, but if you're expecting it to smoke your SV, you may have a rude awakening coming. You may want to consider a 1125/1190 if you are looking to blow the SV into the weeds.

34/19 I couldn't give a sh#! less whether an XB9 can or cannot "smoke" a cheap Jap bike like the SV650. A BUELL is soooo much better all around bike.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast