Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob advice needed

I'm 53, and getting back into street riding. I raced MX and street rode Kawi triples years ago. I got my license again about a year ago, and have been riding another Kawi triple for the past year--fun little bike.

I'm looking to get a newer bike. I use my bike for joy rides--I live in a suburban/rural area. I want something fun.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a used "naked" type bike. Haven't had an opportunity to ride them, but a Buell XB9 Lightning, Ducati Monster, or SV650 seem like they might work. I'm really leaning toward the Buell--but have a few questions.

From what I've read, Buell changed the belt around 2004, and made some other changes for 2008 models. Are they that different year to year, so that I should look for a certain year or years?

I can't get a handle on the different XB9 models--are they that different? The XB9 low sounds great for me (I'm 5'7"), but they seem pretty rare. Is there much of a difference between an XB9 and an XB9 City?

I've gotten somewhat burned before on trying to maintain an out-of-production vehicle (Alfas when I was younger, 2004 GTO a few years ago). My local Harley dealer didn't like Buells when they had 'em on the floor. How hard is it to get Buell parts or get them serviced?

Anything else?

I'm in the Washington, DC area. Any local Buell groups where I could see bikes and talk with owners?

Thanks.

DMV Buellers

We are meeting sometime in October for a ride if you want to come out.

I wouldnt worry about parts, there are plenty of Buell friendly dealerships in the country, and Twin Motorcycles (Buell Forever) from the Netherlands is making a shop here in the US.

Where do you live?

I live in Leesburg.

A great parts thread is here:
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sa...eign--Domestic

Then you have companies like http://twinmotorcycles.nl/ whose statement of purpose is "WE HAVE ONLY 1 GOAL EVERY DAY, 365 DAYS A YEAR AND THAT IS TO KEEP YOU ALL ON THE ROAD AFTER 2019 WHEN THERE IS NO SUPPORT FROM BUELL ANYMORE."

I do hope you get a chance to ride a Buell with oh9bolt. I don't regret my purchase. Never ridden a Ducati, though!

2003 had the "bad" belt design. You can update them with new belt, both pulleys, and tensioner.

2003 also had a kickstand switch that is prone to failure. You can simply override this.

Somewhere around 2008 they updated the kickstand because they were somewhat prone to breaking. You can do this yourself for ~$10-15 and save like $100 from buying the updated part from the dealer.

The ecm changed around 2008 also, I don't know much about the newer ecm and programming, etc. but I'm 99% sure they were all the same from the start of the xb models to when it changed around 2008.

Really, IMO, get any 2004 to ~2008ish would be best. A 2003 is fine just a couple things to upgrade as they will eventually fail. Newer bikes are great too but I don't know much about them so personally I'd stick with the ones I know. They are still basically the same though, minor changes to the programming and stuff like that.

A few other common issues with the bikes are headlight reflective film peels off(headlights because extremely dim...) on older models and the bikes run VERY hot. The heat can be combatted with tuning(more fuel) and a right side scoop.

Every machine has some kinks....this is the best bike I've ever been on, it's a blast to ride and easy/cheap to maintain.

I used to have a Yamaha RD400. If you like the two stroke powerband, you might want to throw a leg over an 1125. It's like two stroke power from the very crack of the throttle to the end.

You can probably pick one up cheaper then an xb.

"I can't get a handle on the different XB9 models--are they that different? The XB9 low sounds great for me (I'm 5'7"), but they seem pretty rare. Is there much of a difference between an XB9 and an XB9 City?"

I think the difference between the XB9 and the XB9 CityX (kinda like MotoX/motocross but City Cross, get it?) was the City has more upright moto cross style handle bars, a taller seat, and moto cross style plastic handguards to protect your knuckles, from what I am not really sure. I think it is more of a styling cue because they refer to the City as an "Urban Assault Bike".

You can probably locate a new or like new Scg seat which would put you as low as possible on the bike. Some years, the CityX was the only 9 available that year.

Here is a good website where you can look at all the particular models made each year and compare pics. When they changed in 2008 to 2010 the ECM changed (I am not sure if it is as user tunable a the 2007 and earlier bikes) and if you look at the right side of the engine, they changed the design of the gear cover on the engine.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photo...dels-Buell.htm

totalmotorcycle

I have a link to every model if you click my name and scroll down.

Thanks. I'll try to come by the DMV ride. I guess go by KBB for value? I live on Kent Island, across the Bay from Annapolis, MD.

Those seem about right IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast