Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Confusing Issue

2006 Buell XB12ss- Engine just rebuilt 1000mi ago. Bike had charging problem. Recharged battery, tightened ground, smoke appears around wires close to belt drive. Discoved red thick wire was rubbing on belt, due to mechanic error obviously. Soldered wire together and wrapped harness w electrical tape. No more charging issues. Next thing low fuel light on w full tank (even before electrical smoke) Bike has split seconds every once in awhile where it seems to cut out while throttle is held steady. This was barely noticeable. Now bike runs like its out of gas and backfiring constantly. Took bike to another mechanic, he says two wires on throttle body were loose and reversed and some type of cap was missing allowing extra air in. Bike ran great for two miles and right back to drowning out and backfiring. Barely got bike back to mechanic, now he is stumped. He says after tinkering w gas cap and trying to get it to repeat to test drive it further and if it dies he will pick it up. The bike started running strong again, so I rode it back to original mechanic, he said reversing polarity of those wires doesnt matter because bike had been running fine for 1000mi. He says low fuel light is not related to fuel pressure issue and he cud yank that sensor off fuel pump and it would still work. He says make up mind on whose fixing it. He says cud be fuel line issue, not necessarily pump. Needless to say bike is back to sputtering and backfiring. If I rev it up it will eventually rev way up. If I get it up to third or on freeway it seems okay, but barely runs in stop and go traffic. It also seems to run better cold. Im curious if this sounds like the famousfuel pump wire harness issue. The pump does not blow fuses, it charges up briefly when ignition is turned on. I think I can barely hear it running in background while idling at a light occasionally.(loud exhaust) Any thoughts or someone w similar experience ? Both mechanics say sounds like electrical issue after heating up. And had to tow bike in to mechanic when this all started, so maybe those crossed wires were part of it. But now its bad again.

That is confusing, especially across the Internet. I'd highly suggest you get an ECM cable to hook your bike to the computer, check the diagnostics and do some logging.

Is your battery getting charged while the bike runs?

Yes the battery charged fine after tightening the ground to the frame. Its also a new battery. N o issue w charging system

Do you have a bad fuel pump relay? pull it out and look to see if the bottom (by the plug) of the relay is burned, or bubbly.

if it's not, try giving it a couple small taps on the top with a screwdriver handle or something to see if you can clear up the sputtering.

My money is on a faulty sensor
    mine, for what I could understand, did something very similar
    bad throttle position sensor

Im assuming fuel pump relay is going to be like a fuse, either it works or not. But it looks good.

Nope. A relay is actually a little switch.. And yes, they stick sometimes... Like jaimes said, five er a little tap..

Yeah a relay is an electrically switched switch. Literally.

now it is just sputtering and constant backfiring. i guess i will try a third mechanic

You really should get an ECM cable for $30 and see what ecmspy says.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast