Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Confusing Issue

i guess i will try a third mechanic
    Then you will have three mechanics mad at you.

Make up your mind on one of them and stick with him or…

learn to do it yourself…

which is really what you're asking here.

So, you've got some problems.
    Relays are cheapest so try them.
    TPS has been fiddled with by God knows what level of mechanic so check that.
    There's no code so ECM might not help.
    It's better cold tells you something but what: air leak; fuel vent blocked; dirty air filter?
    Who rebuilt it and why are they not involved in this story?

Throttle body could be leaking at the base seals .?.?

i know it sounds silly... but have you put new spark plugs in?

I agree, stop taking your bike to mechanics, save the money and buy some tools.

Working on your own bike is WAY more rewarding, also it's super simple.

iRide, where do you live you might have people near by that are willing and able to help.

There's no code so ECM might not help.
    Who said there is no diagnostic code? iRide never said that. ECMSpy does alot more than just show codes. lol it's not like an ODB code scanner. you can also LOG engine data with ECMSpy.

The shop that rebuilt it is supposedly great. They pride themselves on charging more but fixing it right the first time. They charged 4500 to rebuild engine with a balanced crank shaft replaced intake seals and 02 sensor etc. Bike sounded great when I picked it up. But 2 days later it had an oil leak. They fixed it, it was leaking from gaskets on top of push rod. I figured it was a fluke. No biggie, nobody is perfect. But low fuel indicator wasnt working either. (Maybe not there fault) Still no worries. Then battery died due to loose ground and wires were shorting due to rubbing belt drive. That is the mechanics fault. So I decided on a new mechanic. The new mechanic isnt really experienced w Buell, I can tell he read the manual because he thinks u need a special harley fuel pressure tester when in reality any will work, he also thinks u need to remove the entire swing arm to remove the fuel pump. And he basically just charged 250 to fix nothing. He claims two wires going to the injectors were crossed but the bike still doesnt run right and two other mechanics say it probably makes no difference on polarity. Plus it did run about 800 Mi with them supposedly crossed, so Im leaning towards he really did nothing. But lets say I took it back in after oil leak was fixed w dead battery. Wud they have owned up to wires rubbing on belt drive too? I really doubt it. So I found a mechanic who worked at harley buell in chandler, az for three years. Hoping he can get the bike to where Ican put a few thousand miles on it without any new issues. Im also thinking perhaps just having the dealership fix it in the first place would have been the way to go at this point. I didnt want to rebuild it but the mechanic said motor was junk, needed new rods and lifters due to pinched oil line supposedly. He also said its cheaper to balance crankshaft than order a new one. So thats what we did.

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but you could have bought an entire bike in perfect running order for the cost of rebuilding your engine.

So after all the time and money and pains in the ass...?

I'm really interested in what the new guy says.

I paid 4300, but it didnt have fender eliminator, rizoma turn signals, led tail lights, custom bars n grips and bar ends. Gel seat, new tires, d&D exhuast, Custom levers, shift linkage, interstate battery and k and n filter, ceramic coated pipes and primary cover and apilla mirrors. So I would have lost more to let it go. I thought the mechanic wud return a more dependable bike.

oh and a heatshield from odie hawk

Sort of the same issue here on my 2003 xb9s. Fired it up yesterday and acted like only 1 cylinder was firing. Took it down the road and it cleared up a bit but only when I was really in the throttle. Me and my buddy went riding and after an hour or so it acted like it was running out of gas. As well as backfiring. Got it home though it was running like **** the whole time. I dont want to give up on this bike but it sure gets embarrassing that every time I get the guys around to ride there is another problem with my bike. And they ride japs :(

Well I guess we'll wait to see what mechanic #3 says. While you wait you should buy some tools and a manual for your bike. You'd save loads of money and you'll gain loads of accomplishment.

Lol not trying to be a dick, just kinda pointing out the obvious. Once you put a part on a bike, you can in fact take it off again to put on a new bike. The way I see it, you paid to have an engine rebuilt, multiple tows, and the bill from multiple mechanics. Not to mention the let down of not being able to ride. You could have bought another 12ss and moved the parts to the new bike. Then you would have had a whole other bike you could have parted out and made some money back, or kept it for spare parts.

But still the most important thing, I hope mechanic #3 can help you out and you can get back on the road soon!

hindsight is always 20/20. Iwas thinking perhaps this great mechanic wud get it bac to dependable whereas a new bike wud be another unknown

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast