Thread: Firebolt headlights not working

My bright light isn't working. My low light runs fine but i have no brights. However if i flick my bright on, the little blue light on my dash still comes on. what would cause the light to not work? bulb or fuse? thanks!

Sounds generally like the bulb. Check the fuse first, then tear into her. You'll appreciate the experience when more complicated things are pillaged by the gremlins.

KC

I'll check the bulb and fuse then. Is it hard to get to the bulb do ya know? is it from behind the fairing?

Nah it's not too bad, pull the front fairing and there will be a couple screws that will swivel the headlights down if I remember right. It's been a year or so since I installed the HID's but it wasn't anything too difficult.

Manual will walk you through it quick.

KC

My brilliant light isn't working. My low light runs fine however I have no brights. Be that as it may in the event that I flick my splendid on, the little blue light on my scramble still goes ahead. what might make the light not work? bulb or circuit? much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by tonnyguetta View Post
    My brilliant light isn't working. My low light runs fine however I have no brights. Be that as it may in the event that I flick my splendid on, the little blue light on my scramble still goes ahead. what might make the light not work? bulb or circuit? much appreciated!
    If the circuit is faulty that will cause problems.
    If the bulb is faulty that will cause problems.

It can also be caused by a dead battery, or if the key is in the wrong position in the cylinder. Be aware that a broken light due to a crash or other damage can also cause the aforementioned issue. However, those are just subsets of the two sentences I mentioned previously in my reply. A genuine factory service manual is paramount in the discovery of these sorts of issues, as is a quality DVOM (digital volt ohm multimeter). Be sure to also check to make sure all of your grounds are intact and functioning as intended by the factory as corrosion/oxidation of the grounding points can cause all sorts of issues and distress for the flow of electrons. This can also cause much distress to other components in the circuit (or even the rest of the bike!!!). When examining the bulb, first check for visible damage to the lens or glass, if there is none you can procede with the investigation. If not, you will want to use a quality DVOM (digital volt ohm multimeter) to check the continuity of the filaments of the suspect bulb. Once again, be sure to check the service manual for proper ratings of the aforementioned component. If you have any questions there are various forums such as quora.com that can assist in troubleshooting your Buell/Harley Davidson motorcycle. If the bulbs checks out for positive function, kindly proceed to checking the plug for proper function and voltage. An excessive voltage can cause problems and a voltage that below spec can also cause problems. Once again, use a quality DVOM (digital volt ohm multimeter) to diagnose the issue while keeping at hand the genuine Buell motorcycle service manual for reference of the plug pinout configuration for efficiency and all intents and purposes. Following the wiring schematic of the Factory Buell Motorcycle Genuine Factory Service Manual, you may also want to check the switching mechanism of the brilliant (splendid) position against the low beam position. I would highly recommend first off to initially check the connector plug for corrosion/damage/faulty wiring/improper installation/chafing/water intrusion/UV degradation of the insulation components/UV degradation of the terminal holder assembly or incorrect application of said part. Depending on the outcome of that diagnosis, my next troubleshooting check point would be to investigate the contacting surfaces of the circuit INSIDE the mechanism. You will want to check for any sort of burning, chafing, or any sort of corrosion, oxidization, excessive wear, damage or other unforeseen circumstances that will cause improper function of the aforementioned circuit. I highly recommend reaching out to geniune forum member John (aka LunaticFringe) for more advice on this topic. You will not want to reach to the forum member known as "Cooter" as he is a known troublemaker and will likely lead you to purchase the Harley Davidson official tool "Digital Technician" for further diagnosis of issues that may or may not be relevant or irrelevant to the issue at hand. You may want to purchase device known in circles as a "Buelltooth" from a website that goes under the moniker "www.BuellTooth.com" and do your purchase from there. Upon arrival of said component, you can down load an app called from the world wide web for diagnosis of many problems including those of an electrical nature. However, the name of such an app eludes me at the current moment. Perhaps forum member "Cooter" can be of more assistance with the name of this product. I do remember this "app" can only be used on ANDROID devices, NOT APPLE. DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL ON APPLE. I will you much luck on your endeavor as this will be can become a rather complex process and diagnosis can sometimes be tricky to boot. I recommend working slowly and thoroughly, while taking notes of all steps of diagnosis and the presented results. I am sure there is a flowchart in the Factory Buell Motorcycle Service Manual that can assist with your diagnosis during this troubleshooting venture.

OP: Replace the bulb

34:19 thats dang funny, I'm going to copy/paste it to every 'HELP! my battery died' thread this year. It's perfect!

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-02-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    OP: Replace the bulb

34:19 thats dang funny, I'm going to copy/paste it to every 'HELP! my battery died' thread this year. It's perfect!

Happy New Year!
    I've been reading too many of those clickbait stories on taboola and the other crap sites where you have to click through 20 pages to get to the often lame point.

Totally A fun "top ten list" but you need 20 different pages of crap to click? ugh. I'll get to maybe the second page and close it out of spite. It's the little victories that count, man