Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Start

I think I will put the Doebek on as it does not require a dyno to set up and I can richen it up a litle.

ok...typing something really fast and then shutting it down isn't my thing :o

a reset would already do alot...you got to weigh performance against mileage.
    better performance does not equal better mileage.

getting in between the 2 will get you the best of both worlds and your engine will do ok.
    running lean will give you a good (almost too good) throttle response, but will not give you the best performance.
    best performance will not give you the best mileage...etc...

I am not really concerned with high performance or good gas mileage. Just wanted the sound but then became concerned about it running to lean. I will try the TPS reset first and see what happens then maybe throw the Doebek on it. The Buell guy here states that he does not think an exhaust mod would cause it to run dangerously lean unless I also modded the intake side also. Since there are no mods on the intake, he thinks I am ok as far as lean goes....but who knows for sure?

What is the breather mod I hear about?

When I switched my stock exhaust for a Jardine I had the same issues. She was hard to start, especially on cold days and she kicked and popped when down-gearing especially below 2700rpm.

When I dropped a new map into her (off ecmspy) she became a whole new beast. The bottom end came back and the popping went pretty much bye bye. I then opened up the box and fine-tuned a couple cells in the map and she's a happy, healthy, sexy creature.

That said, right after the mod, she became very hard to start. I took her for a good hard ride that kept the rpms well above 35k for about 30 minutes and that seemed to straighten things out and get her back when I wanted her. She still takes longer to warm up than she used to but no more double starts. That ecm needs time to adjust.

I would have noted that I ran her without the ecm mod for over 10, almost 20k miles. The mod was her 50k b'day present, and she's happier than ever. Marriage made in heaven (hell?)...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death!"

---A Late Anonymous Bueller

What is the breather mod I hear about?
    I'm not sure, but here's one thread about the airbox delete. It's for getting the most performance from your intake. Some have simply drilled holes, or opened up they're stock inner airbox, but the delete gets the most performance gain....along with an exhaust and ECM upgrade or remap.
    Airbox Delete

I think I found an older post on how to do the breather reroute. I will take it apart today before heading to the parts store to make sure I pick up everything I need on the first trip.

Perfect....thanks

OK, did the breather reroute, and now it won't start at all. I believe the problem is unrelated however as it was already getting progressively harder to start, especially as it got colder outside and it was really cold today. Plugs were wet so it is way to rich. Will trailer to to the dealer, I believe my problem is TPS related

Is the battery having trouble turning the motor over?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast