Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM petition for your Senator

Tell your U.S. Senators and Representatives that support for the U.S. auto industry is in America’s best economic interest and is a sound investment toward a more competitive future.

Worth a look

http://www.gmfactsandfiction.com

I dont support a U.S. Auto bailout. They have been practicing a failed buisness plan for years now, a bailout just buys them time to keep practicing the same failed plan. I say let a few of them bankrupt and fail, the ones left will either follow suit and fail, or change their ways, re-structure and come up with a better buisness model and vehichles. We already gave them 30 Billion this year to "re-new" their equipment, how much more do they need? want?

From an economic standpoint, a government bailout will help the current financial job security for the auto industry, but the future and long term security is up to the companies to drive for a lean manufacturing/design process. A government bailout will only delay the inevitable if the big 3 don't get their act together. There is a reason why the big 3 are suffering (here comes my 2 cents)...they don't make good cars!!! I don't know why anyone would ever pick an American car over a German car. Being a mechanical engineer myself, I know a thing or two about quality and manufacturing. I hate to say it, but America is losing the technology war.

Back to the topic at hand....I believe that if anyone of the big 3 goes under, then it will create mass job losses as well as many other supplier companies to go under. This bailout seems like a double-edged sword, and the only real solution is for the big 3 to get through this tough time on their own. The only question is whether or not we think the big 3 will make it out alive, or will they drag down the industry with them?

The secondary effects of them going bankrupt would be huge causing other businesses that supply parts solely to the automotive industry to fail. There would be a large number of fall out bankruptcy among other businesses that support the big 3.

However, I don't support bailouts because it just sends a message to the company that ethical practices don't matter and they can get fat while running the company into the ground. A large problem is the union's involvement driving up wages and end user's purchase price. Toyota's US plants seem to be doing just fine.

Toyota's US plants seem to be doing just fine.
    I can affirm this to a certain extent. Roughly 95% of the parts we stamp/weld, we supply to Toyota. The only business we've really slowed down on are the GM parts and a few Lexus. We're even pulling weekends every now and then right now. I'm no business expert, but after working at 2 other U.S. owned facilities, the Japanese are much more efficient.

I won't pretend to know what would be best, bailout vs. no bailout, but I just hope and pray whatever it is, it results in the fewest jobs lost for "everyone."

Administrator
    Sorry mrdozer, but I have to agree with the others on this. It is a double edged sword.

Two years ago I got into a big fight with my Grandpa over GM. He is a retired GM employee and he had a one year old Chevy Cavalier and my sister had a new Scion TC made by Toyota. Both cars were in the same price range but the Scion TC was packed full of features that the Chevy didn't even offer. The quality and design of the Scion was better hands down. Even the newer Cobalt doesn't compare to the Scion. They both offer supercharged versions and yes, the Cobalt has a bit more power (with the SC) but that's the only edge it has.

I do think GM cars are getting better, but it almost seems like too little too late. They've been last to market with nearly every new technology. The new Chevy Volt they have been raving about is now turning into a slightly better copy of the Toyota Prius.
    Hybrid (Honda, Toyota, Ford, then GM)?
    Natural Gas (Honda has it for sale now)?
    Hydrogen (Honda has it for sale now)?

Ford was the first to get the balls to come out with a retro styled Muscle car, the new Mustang. GM talked about bringing back the Camaro for years, but Ford and Dodge beat them to market.

Toyota 4Runner vs. Chevy Trailblazer? NO CONTEST
    Honda Civic vs. Cobalt/Pontiac G5? NO CONTEST
    Scion TC vs. Cobalt/Pontiac G5? YOU BE THE JUDGE
    Corvette Z06 vs. Nissan Skyline GT-R?
    Corvette ZR1 vs. Audi R8?
    Cadillac anything vs. BMW or Audi anything?
    and the list goes on....

Trucks are another story, but Toyota and Nissan are still eating away at the truck market. IMO GM is not competing to the level Ford and Dodge are. Keep in mind that I've always driven Chevy (K5 Blazer, 2003 ext. Cab Silverado)

Then you have Union employees at GM working for $27+ per hour plus benefits for retired employees giving a major competitive advantage to Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Audi, etc.

We need GM, but it's a shame that they continue to fail at being competitive with other auto makers.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, if you want to Support American industry, buy a BUELL!!

Everyone makes really good points. I think it sucks, I love GM. I mean its the american dream, good job, nice house(picket fence?) then you get a Cadillac. I mean its ****ty all this is coming to a head, but it was inevitable. I dont like the fact that alot of people are GOING to get laid off, but its not the end. Those are skilled reliable workers. Go to work for Boeing, or another skilled engineering field of work based out of the U.S. The need for those people is not going to diminish, its just going to come from somewhere else. But, the fact is we prolly will bail out the big 3 because democrats want it that way, with Obama, Senate, and House majorities its going to happen. And it sucks, cuzz if one or two fail the whats left is going to get stronger and have more room for growth. If GM fails, Ford/Dodge will pick up as much skilled workers as they can.

I voted Obama, even tho I believe a big 3 bailout is a bad idea. Im not a democrat, im not a republican, im an american and I believe we are stonger united.

for those saying that japs are more efficient...believe me, honda, toyota and other are clients...

they just are more efficient in stocking cars.
    sales are down for all the brands...the negative thing is that almost none of the u.s. brands have fuel efficient models.
    on that departement they are a long way from home and that is what sells at the moment...thanks to the european market, where almost none of the u.s. brands have been on and are now paying the price.

chevrolet (gm) has taken over deawoo, a korean brand which hasn't been selling too good in euro-country but since the take-over is doing alot better.
    ...but too little too late?

and to pick up on buellxb's post...i think for now, no other car can compete with the price/quality of the new nissan gt-r.
    a bloody hand-made engine that goes around the nurburgring faster than a porsche gt3 turbo...for that price??? :o

yeah what happend to gm and cool cars? its like they got slapped with the fail stick. I do like the silverado though. but yeah im not a chevy guy..
    The new camaro looks pretty nice... havnt seen one in person though.

good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast