Thread: Mow's winter Sumo Project Begins!

So I have been looking for a super moto but wasn't having a lot of luck in my price range. I stumbled upon a 2002 kx500 two smoke with a brand new motor (with a big bore kit ;P) and streetable title. The bike itself needs some tlc but runs like a mother! I will be tearing it down this winter, getting lots of things powder coated and getting a sumo kit put together. I dont think I am going to worry about street titling it for some time, the windy roads are so remote out here no one gives a damn anyways ;P
    I also still have my 86, but the crank went ;/ so its torn apart.

Looking for advice or pointers from the guys on here that are into building and riding motards. There are a few kits avail,. for the kx5hundie but not many.. thinking about lacing up my own rims (i've done plenty of bicycle rims). Might be a few weeks until I get the ball rolling but wanted to start a thread to document my adventure.

2smokeforlife! Suggestions and advice please! I have done a lot of reading but am new to the sumo world ;P

Join supermotojunkie.com and read the threads about 500 smokers on the street. I have read a few build threads where they have done modifications to get longer engine life out of them. There was actually a for sale thread for a kx500 sumo not too long ago. check it out it might give you some ideas for mods. I have a cr500af myself and these things are ridiculous in the woods. I cant even imagine how fun they would be on the street. I have a wr450f sumo in Pittsburgh so when you get it built we should ride. Do you still live close by?

P.S. Put thread locker on EVERYTHING!! I was losing bolts and almost whole plastic panels at a time on the cr

Those bikes are beast. Buddy of mine had one and we switched rides a few times. They have a crazy power band. Have fun and looking forward to a super moto kx500. I tried like Hell for him to do the same but he sold it.

Thanks for the input guys, I have been lurking on supermotojunkie for a while now. About the kx5 being a beast.. My brother says its hilarious watching me go up big hills cause I'm hanging on for dear life and the only thing touching the bike is my hands and feet ;)

I really wanted to do this with the 86 that I have since its damn near brand new but parts have been a challenge on that bike. Looking forward to putting together a fairly cheap bad ass bike. So far the initial investment has been 1500 bucks lol Bike has pretty much a new motor.

more to come, soon, I hope!

any update yet?