oop, season, quickly, riding, plugs, thoughts, normal, disgusting, cables, checked, cleaned, surging, sense, modulating, missing, makes, sensor, installed, questions, bucking, times, replacing, position, testing, recommends, firing" /> trouble code and power bucking problem questions. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: trouble code and power bucking problem questions.

I just read through the troubleshooting guide for the no start issue and realized that i don't have any of the diagnostic tools that they would have at the Harley shop.

Is this realistic with just a multimeter?

Ben

well the service manual is going to recommend a "breakout box" which makes it easier to prob circuits, but u can do it without. Its just a bigger pain. It sounds like u might have some fairly elaborate wiring issues, might not hurt to take it to a shop(not nescassarily harley), especially if ur time is limited, these kinda things can take awhile.

OK, so finally my ECM spy cable came in. Installed and tested connection, program, etc.

Also, I MANAGED TO START MY BIKE!!!! OMFG!!!

I had the air intake cover,and the filter off. I had a rubber glove over the intake at the time and didn't expect it go! SO i fashioned a cheesecloth filter just for safe testing. and now we can see what is next.

Well i left it hooked up to the battery tonight to see if it will still leak and die overnight. I can muck around with it a bit and perform the tps reset.

How will i know if a TPS needs resetting or replacing? I have another on hand already.

BEN

Also, I am assuming that if the ECM spy program reads the data from my ECM then i can perhaps rule out the ECM itself as bad?

BEN

Also, I am assuming that if the ECM spy program reads the data from my ECM then i can perhaps rule out the ECM itself as bad?

BEN
    nope it read mine fine

I had a rubber glove over the intake at the time and didn't expect it go!
    Made me laugh, while at the same time hope that you didn't suck a rubber glove into your engine

ha ha nope. But I did realize that by controlling the amout of opening, i can see how it affects the running engine. After the TPS reset, I'm going to toy carefullly a bit and take some notes as I am just a learning buell owner. which, i have come to accept means that i will have to learn to fix my bike myself if i want to own AND ride it.

NO prob Im a DIY guy so, with some help from you folks, I'll put another 10,000kms on it next year again. Hopefully that will be with just regular maintainence an not with countless hours in shop and awaiting parts.

Ill get into it tomorrow am and report as i get things done and more questions arise...

Thanks again for all the info and quick responses.

Ben

BuellyBagger,

If it read your ECM fine but the ECM was Faulty, How did you know the ECM for sure was faulty?
    re: your earlier description: After your TPS going out again after 150 miles; was your next step was to put in the new ECM? Did you have any other symptoms at the time?
    Basically the other question is, is it possible to need a TPS reset on a functional TPS?

BTW, I have another TPS to put in my bike. Should I try the reset first or just change it? The unit i have is used but from reputable parts source. Came complete with entire induction module from a running bike; same: make, model, year and kms. Great source(They part bikes out and are ridiculously cheap.) called:

http://stores.ebay.ca/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc

;););););););););););):):):)

Well ben i replace the TPS just bcuz the bike threw a code 11 and i figured i'd shoot from the hip instead of actually diagnosing the problem. I later tested my old TPS with an ohm meter and found no problems with it. The reason i concluded my ECM was bad was from running the diagnostics described in the service manual. I had an intermitent light and found no faults in the wiring to and from the TPS. so the recomended next step according to the manual was "replace ECM" so i did. and ever since, no probs. I can only assume the ECM was bad, i have considered calling or e-mailing ebr to see if theres ne way they can check out my old one. Get urself a service manual, it has a section for each trouble code with diagnostics to follow to remedy it.

So b4 doing a TPS reset or changing it, i would do the simplest of tests, plug ur bike into ECMspy, with it in live runtime u can see where the TPS reads in realtime by actuating the throttle. Slowly rotate the throttle open and back closed and watch the reading on ECMspy for spikes or blips in the signal, if the voltage jusmps around wildly in the reading then u prolly have a bad TPS. U can also watch the TPS voltage reading on ECMspy while jiggling the wiring to the TPS and the harness it comes from and if u see ne blips in the signal u might have a short in the wiring. i did all this in my dark cold garage in october last year so u can do it :D

Did you have any other symptoms at the time?
    symptoms @ the time of epic fail after TPS replace were bucking stalling and flashin CEL. Would idle just fine and run under wide open throttle, otherwise it jumped and bucked like a friggin bronco

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast