Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Pro, ECMSPY, spark knock/detonation, exhuasts...

Thumpin, I think I mightve accidentally gave your comment a thumbs down! My bad, trying to view on my phone with a case of fat thumbs!

I live in north Texas it gets really really hot after I port matched my intake manifold and cut up my airbox, installed my keda header/ homemade muffler my bolt would ping 3rd and 4th under hard accel I knew it needed a tune so I bought a cable. Id already been using tunercat for years for lt1 and ls and I knew and had the software for tunerpro (started as an lt1 thing) called tunepro and found out the guys a lightning owner and it was already running. I fixed the bike with more fuel on the decel and extra fuel in the rear. I had to learn to data log but its much easier now u don't need a cable anymore you can Bluetooth log with ecmdroid. I also added a modified RSS and cycle my fan sooner, longer. I never took away any ign advance. Lots of logging but that's my favorite part:D

I mightve accidentally gave your comment a thumbs down! My bad
    lol! yup, it looks like you did!.. ahh well, see what happens when I stick my nose in and try to help, ha haa!

I live in north Texas it gets really really hot after I port matched my intake manifold and cut up my airbox, installed my keda header/ homemade muffler my bolt would ping 3rd and 4th under hard accel I knew it needed a tune so I bought a cable. Id already been using tunercat for years for lt1 and ls and I knew and had the software for tunerpro (started as an lt1 thing) called tunepro and found out the guys a lightning owner and it was already running. I fixed the bike with more fuel on the decel and extra fuel in the rear. I had to learn to data log but its much easier now u don't need a cable anymore you can Bluetooth log with ecmdroid. I also added a modified RSS and cycle my fan sooner, longer. I never took away any ign advance. Lots of logging but that's my favorite part
    Case in point! trial and error, back to stock map, more datalogging, fiddle here, adjust there.. it's all good and fun for many, and yes a great learning experience.. but.. if you just want to just hit the "easy" button and ride, well.. lets just say there's options I have mapped out for ya'

2hy.. you've got skillz brotha'!

Kcander.. you could always hit me back one here, lol!

The only reason I suggest ecmspy is later when I bought my 06' lightning I went ahead got ecmspy with cable and like forty distinct maps for the same price as just the cable I purchased for the bolt. That included all the up to date ebr maps for different exhausts and such, easily uploadable. Ecmspy gets updated its sorta user friendly and there's lotsa instructions with well documented methodologys

And yeah I'd b the last person to tell u tunings a cinch. Buells with one exhaust sensor can have their own special lil quarks. A lot easier than my e85 ls3 96' firechikn-vette-am tho. My point is that for a measly $40 you get in-depth diognostic tools and all the maps available( which do upload quick and easy). I'm not against the ebr ecm. Its a faster processing (learning) computer. It makes faster more accurate corrections too

Its a faster processing (learning) computer. It makes faster more accurate corrections too
    2hy, I do believe that is an accurate statement.. as that is what was conveyed to me by the guru(s) at EBR.. enhanced firmware, etc.. as much as we all like to get a "deal" in this day and age, a fella' gets what he pays for with the EBR unit, (and of course Max's end result with his upper tier tuning program, sans cutting edge componentry)

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I've got some decisions to make. Or maybe I just need to buy all of this stuff!

Inactive
    my Uly is an 07 so my DFI system is precursor to yours, can be tuned with ecmspy and performance maps readily available. for what it's worth kcander, mine as stock did not run very well and i bought it slightly used with 2500 miles on it, now have close to 5000. i changed the plugs to NGK iridium tipped DCPR8EIX which made a difference, sent my stock muff to randy hawkins for his conversion which made yet another difference and sounds wonderful...priced right. and finally downloaded 07 race maps into my stock ECM which really brought it to life. i had relentless surging and light pinging at times, the ECM tune made all the difference. personally i'd go with max or one of the other tuners on here, a Hawk muff, and the NGK's. the difference will be amazing and has been done by tons of board members. hope that helps.

Before you try to adjust the mapping in the ECM to correct a runability issue, I would check static timing, perform a TPS reset, clean the throttle body and air filter, and verify good intake seals and exhaust seals. Even if your bike has an aftermarket exhaust and/or air cleaner, the stock mapping should not cause any pinging, even where you live. I have worked on many XBs where the rider thought the bike "needed to be tuned" and it was really something out of adjustment or faulty component.

Eric Im n total agreement. Maintenence and diagnostics before any tuning. Intake gaskets r notoriously a pain on these bikes. Its never a bad idea to have the injectors cleaned and flowed. I have a place a few miles away that does it for $40 a piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast