Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuner Pro, ECMSPY, spark knock/detonation, exhuasts...

Before you try to adjust the mapping in the ECM to correct a runability issue, I would check static timing, perform a TPS reset, clean the throttle body and air filter, and verify good intake seals and exhaust seals. Even if your bike has an aftermarket exhaust and/or air cleaner, the stock mapping should not cause any pinging
    Eric has a very good point ^^here^^.. have you performed a tps reset yet? it is easy on your DDF3 08'... some guys do it every few tanks of gas.. timing is controlled/set through your ECM (manually adjustable on pre 08's), and of course, it is paramount to establish there are no peripheral contributing factors to your detonation problems, i.e intake and exhaust integrity. Have you tried different brands and/or grades of fuel in your area? I read somewhere that premium fuel, by virtue has a higher "octane" rating, but more additives to obtain such, that actually decrease "volatility" per fluid unit over regular and mid grade(big subject for debate here). I have always run mid-grade and have never experienced detonation under any condition, nor surging, hiccups or decel-pop(post ECM learn) in my mildly modded Buells. Efficiently evacuating heat from our constricted(stock config)engines through free-er flowing tuned exhaust is a GOOD and beneficial thing, it also opens up tuning/fueling potential, that is why I mentioned that an exhaust should be a first purchase, followed closely by tuning. I personally never deviate from, or alter my factory intake/induction system.. as I believe the factory got it right(04'-10) with volume, filtering media, sound absorption and inherent restriction.. yup. that's right.. I'm not chasing horsepower though, these bikes in a high state of tune have plenty for me :D

I quickly attempted a TPS reset a few months back, but I guess I was reading some bad instructions because I got confused and couldn't figure out if I did it correctly. I'll have to revisit that now that I've got, ohhhhh, 8 months until next summer to get that done.

Air filter is clean and I just did some throttle maintenance because mine was sticking a little, so those should be legit, but I'll have to look up the static timing and seals, never done that.

I bought the bike with 27k on it a couple seasons back, it's got 37k on it now. Pretty sure the PO replaced the plugs w/ iridium and ran new plug wires as well not too long before I bought it.

Good thing winter is long around here, sounds like I've got a lot of stuff to look into!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123