Thread: My new toy/winter project.

I picked up a 1982 Honda VF750S V45 Sabre for $500. It sat for two years prior. I pumped out the old gas, put in some new gas, jumped the battery and it fired right up. After all the maintenance is over (fluids, carbs, hoses, etc) I need to decide what I want to do to it this winter.

Right now I'm thinking, money permitting...
    New headlight
    New instrument cluster
    New handlebars
    New mirrors
    New exhaust
    Solo seat
    Custom short tail
    New turn signals and brake light

Oh, yeah, I forgot. My brother just passed a MSF course and is getting his M soon. So I'm also going to keep browsing craigslist for another cheap bike for him. Ideally something between 200-500 that we can work on together. I figure a box with a title in it for a running bike would be an awesome Christmas gift.

That's a really cool looking bike! I think you've got a great project ahead of you. If you're going to do a cafe racer, there's a website called Www.bikeexif.com. They post pictures of tons of custom bikes/cafe racers. Maybe you'll find some inspiration there. Keep us posted on the build.

www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xv750

Best looking non-british cafe bike EVER!

I'm not sure if the 750's had the same oiling problems as their brothers (1100 V65) but the oil filter mod would be a big help in keeping everything well lubed. Another good idea is to replace the temp sensor that controls when the fan is activated with a lower temperature one from an 80's toyota (i forgot what model and engine but you can find it with a little research) to preserve your motor. Other than that good deal and I hope you enjoy it!

I'm not sure if the 750's had the same oiling problems as their brothers (1100 V65) but the oil filter mod would be a big help in keeping everything well lubed.
    Yeah, the V45s have the same oil problem. I plan on doing the oil mod.

Another good idea is to replace the temp sensor that controls when the fan is activated with a lower temperature one from an 80's toyota (i forgot what model and engine but you can find it with a little research) to preserve your motor.
    I'll look into that, thanks.

Heck yeah, I loved the Sabre 45's when they first came out.. cutting edge technology for their time & still way cool!

I found some more information on the fan switch for you, this is from the V65 society book webpage.

According to the MagSab page, you can replace the stock thermostatic switch with an "ECHLIN #FS130" switch which can be obtained from a Napa Autoparts store for $28. This switch turns on at 191-197F (ascending) and off at 182-187F (descending). This is about 20 degrees cooler than the stock switch, which is rated to turn on at 208-215F. "The element is about 1/2" longer than the stock Honda one, but it screws in and has two bayonet connectors as found on early V4s"

www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xv750

Best looking non-british cafe bike EVER!
    bold statement, but i tend to agree!! that's a beautiful bike!