Thread: possible voltage regulator problem, suggestions??

So yesterday as I was riding home my engine light came on. I pulled over, shut her down for a few minutes and when I tried to fire her up again it just started clicking. I figured it WA my battery so I charged it for a few hours and it started. Made it home but then it died again. Charged it ove
    r night and drove 28 miles to work no problem. When I took it off the charger this morning it was not completely charged...battery or regulator?? It's am 06 ss with 27 k miles. My battery is at least a year and a half old. Guys at my work are saying it's my kandn filter that I installed 300 miles ago but I don't think so ..

Lately I have been dealing with a lot of charging problems on 05-07 bikes.
    If you bought the bike new then you would know if you have had to change the stator/regulator.
    But if not check to see if you have a output "77" plug if so the regulator has been replaced.

But it sounds more like a stator issue. If you have a volt meter you can check it real quick.
    Charge the battery test the volts should be roughly 12.5

Then disconnect the voltage regulator from the main harness ( it's behind the belt pulley cover)
    Put your volt meter to the plug (with lock up ground is on the left) fire up your bike and rev it a couple of times and the volts should go up (no higher then 14.5 volt)
    If its over that you have a regulator problem.

If not at all you need to check the stator.
    Disconnect the regulator from the stator ground the black wire from your voltage meter to the timing over bolts fire up the bike and with the red wire touch each one of the 3 prongs ( not at the same time) it should read "0" on each lead. If not its the stator.
    Good luck.

Look at this first ....
    connector 77

Had kind od that issue at the beginning of summer and THAT fixed my problem. Been riding since with no other issues
    Look carefully insine the connector, may be you'll see nothing at the first glance .....

But if you take out the terminal you'll find this

Thanks to RAYS, I fixed my problem with this document he prepared ....

Inactive
    and when you resolve this you might want to think about adding a little volt meter to your XB. i have them in stock and they're cheap. well worth the price just for the peace of mind they bring.

to test the stator you need to test a/c voltage from the three wires 30 ish a/c volts idle 60-75 a/c volts reved.
    my xb v/r just went out last month at barber

If you need to upgrade your VR/R, I have a like new CompuFire unit that would be the perfect upgrade.

Was holding onto it for my Uly, but it feels wrong to hoards parts... Lol!

big twins...what exactly did you do? so your plug is spread not causing good contact? did you replace with the upgraded plug or something else?

It was doing intermitant contact and someday the contact was barely there so it stop charging the battery.The terminal(positive side) was a bit corroded, more like faded.
    Nop, Did'nt replaced anything. Just "remodeled" both terminals. My connector was'nt melted though.
    And like Lunatic said, install your self a mini voltmeter so you have piece of mind.

FYI his bike was stolen...

/\ who's bike?

Edit: nevermind I see now