Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tire change how to

can you do this in video form and then post the link?

Freak posted this on November 2012. He's probably been through a few sets of tires since then.

Go to You tube, type in "motorcycle tire change" and you will get "about 42,000 results".

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...le+tire+change

You're welcome.

Banned
    I replaced the front tire with set of levers and rim protectors and it was the most difficult and stressful thing I've ever done on my motorcycle. I'm thinking just buy a good tire changer to replace the tires in the future. The rear rim on my motorcycle is modified for 240mm tire with bigger lip diameter, so I can easily replace the rear tire with zip ties due to smaller diameter of the central area of the rim, but the front tire changing is totally different ball game. It might also depend on tire make, I use Pirelli Diablo.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-29-2016 at 05:03 PM.

This past Saturday I went up to a friend in North Jersey to change my tires, he has a slightly modified Harbor frt tire changer. All I can say is, I'm getting one ! It was pretty easy and the first time he used it to change motorcycle tires. We had to use a special tool called a Mojo something or other on the rear tire, sorry I can't remember the exact name ( I'm old, I'm allowed and expected to forget ), but it was really easy. He also had this stuff to lube the tire to make it easier to install the the new tire. We used this slippery stuff to remove the front tire and it literally popped off without using any removal tools at all ! It took longer to get the front tire to take air than to remove it off the front rim.

Really easy job, I will be doing my own tires on all of my bikes from now on.

P.S. The above was done on my 2013 Triumph explorer 1200.
    Last edited by njloco; 11-03-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    This past Saturday I went up to a friend in North Jersey to change my tires, he has a slightly modified Harbor frt tire changer. All I can say is, I'm getting one ! It was pretty easy and the first time he used it to change motorcycle tires. We had to use a special tool called a Mojo something or other on the rear tire, sorry I can't remember the exact name ( I'm old, I'm allowed and expected to forget ), but it was really easy. He also had this stuff to lube the tire to make it easier to install the the new tire. We used this slippery stuff to remove the front tire and it literally popped off without using any removal tools at all ! It took longer to get the front tire to take air than to remove it off the front rim.

Really easy job, I will be doing my own tires on all of my bikes from now on.

P.S. The above was done on my 2013 Triumph explorer 1200.
    suggestion before you take the plunge: take a look at No-Mar tire changer. see link below. the entry level classic is a beautiful machine. have been using one in shop for years and after having unmounted/mounted probably 200 tires it remains flawless with no wear or tear whatsoever. the model you want to consider bolts to a concrete floor via expanders and lags. the model that secures to a trailer hitch is only intended for track guys, etc. it leaves a bit to be desired. many online sales sites offer up the No-Mar plus economical static balancer. to off set the cost consider investing in one with a friend or group of riders. when assembled and bolted to floor it takes up very little space and requires little additional space to use it. IMO the finest changer in this price range on the market PLUS the few perishables that may need replacing somewhere down the road will always be available. harbor freight? real crap-shoot.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/

Yeah, that's it, the No-Mar, mount, dismount bar, works really well. I'll definitely consider the tire changer also.

Thanks John
    Last edited by njloco; 11-03-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Yeah, that's it, the No-Mar, mount, dismount bar, works really well. I'll definitely consider the tire changer also.

Thanks John
    yes sir my pleasure. if you're a younger guy and plan on riding and owning bikes as long as humanly possible...the 3 best investments you can ever make are: a quality battery charger...........quality 220volt air compressor.....tire changer. static balancers are dirt cheap and never go out of style.

Banned
    You can't change tires without rear and front stands, so there are two more tools.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    You can't change tires without rear and front stands, so there are two more tools.
    on any XB you certainly can. it's called the stock muffler.....piece of board...simple floor-jack.

We used the center stand on the Expolrer which raised the rear wheel, it has a drive shaft so, 5 lug nuts and it's off. We then put a floor jack under the guard shield which raised the front tire and chocked the rear, easy sneezy.

John, I am young for as long as I can ride my bikes, 67 in twenty days. I'll leave my stuff to someone younger who rides !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345