Thread: Oil leak

I've got my bike torn down pretty good with some parts at powder coat. I knew I had a small oil leak, but as I was tearing it down, I realized it was worse than I thought. It doesn't drip while parked, but seems to have a decent leak while riding and under pressure. I haven't been able to pinpoint the leak due to oil getting thrown around in the wind, but its either somewhere around my oil pump or one of the fittings/lines coming from the oil cooler into the pump.

I'm about to replace all my lines while swapping out my swing arm so I'm hoping this will fix the issue, but was curious If there are any known/common oil pump leaks? If so, where are they?

you sure it isnt a rocker box gasket? buells are known for this. they are super easy to do on the blast, but a PITA on an XB. Cheap, but very time consuming

No it's not a rocker gasket. It's only underneath down under the bottom of the oil pump.

There is an oil line right under the oil pump. There is also a gasket on the oil pump. You also have a fitting on the side of the timing cover which I've had leak before. Don't forget you may have a bad seat on the oil filter which if it leaks at the back would come out around the pump and would only really leak under pressure.

THE 90* fitting just above my oil filter on my cooler return line was leaking nad made a huge mess. its a bitch to get off and repair. the manual says to use teflon tape or hylomar. you have to remove the filter and also the oil pressure sensor <----- bitch because the header is in the way. i used a pair of large mouth pliers and got mined off. harley makes a tool for it but wants 130$ and ill proly only use it once so i used pliers and they worked fine. but its worth a check since they vibration heat and just raw power of our motors wears out the teflon/hylomar tape and allows these fittings to have a slow leak. just my 2 cents hope you get it figured out.