Thread: interactive exhaust

Hi, I'm brand new to the Buell's. One of the things that got me interested in Buell's was the interactive exhaust system. I know how the system works and everything, I just can't seem to find out exactly what years and models does it come on, and I can't find reliable information on if it messes with the system if you install aftermarket exhaust. And where exactly is it located in the exhaust system? And one more question, is it mechanically controlled or computer controlled by wire?

I have it on my 06 XB12S.

It is on all 12's

Inactive
    what jesse said and it is 3 components. controller box on top of air cleaner plastic cover lid, cable running to top of muffler, inter-active power valve residing in top front of muffler. idea was to control noise (probably for DOT ride-by noise certification) and back-pressure. it is controlled by the ecm which tells the controller box when to open and close the valve. if you install aftermarket muffler it will not have this power valve. hawk mufflers eliminate it as well. if you unplug the factory wire harness from the controller box you wil get a CEL code and have problems.

So, basically you dont need it. Buells arent the only motorcycles that use this kinda system, maybe only one that really advertised it. Suzukis also have a back pressure control system quite a bit more advanced. I say its in the way.

Oh sweet, thanks for the information, that's a huge help to know this. Well just curious, anybody try saving the valve and installing it into an aftermarket exhaust? Or if Suzuki has a better system, maybe converting one over to a Buell? That seems like an interesting project, not sure if it'll be worth the effort though. So it doesn't make much of a performance difference running with or without the system?

The flap or butterfly found in the pipe on japanese bikes is not the same as buell.they are presented to the public as a performance at low end feature and to an unoticeable degree is.What is unique about the buell valve is it is changing the tuned length of the exhaust by shortening the path to the end of the pipe .Yes it lowers noise,and does deliver a stronger more linear torque curve as the ASB dyno shows.The butterflys in jap bikes and some cars change the exit velocety with rpm range and that is by changeing the size of the exit not the distance to it.The valve in a buell pipe doesnt restrict it redirectes to a shorter path without restricting.

Sorry about the spelling, I know it sucks.

if you unplug the factory wire harness from the controller box you wil get a CEL code and have problems.
    You can program your ecm around this problem if you have and 03-07, and use an emulator on the 08-10 models to avoid and CEL's or running issues.