Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreaded rear base gasket leak...

Well I've got an '05 XB9SX with about 11,700 miles, I've developed a very tiny oil leak at the rear cylinder base gasket on the rear side next to the primary...It is very small, so I am not too worried about it yet as I do not have another mode of transportation at the moment. I hear the James gasket kit is a good choice. Do I purchase Buell xb specific gaskets, or is it just Evo sportster gaskets? I will most likely be dropping the engine in the next lil while to replace all the top end gaskets. Are there any tips or tricks or am i looking at a pretty straight forward job? Thanks

If you remove the pistons you should do new rings and hone the cylinder. Otherwise you could prob get away with sliding the piston down just far enough to pull the wrist pin. I've heard good things about James but I've had good luck with cometic. They have a specific Buell kit, not sure about James

It always easy to give advice....when its not your bike. But think about your down time and how deep your pocket book is.

1)Now a smart man would just add oil when needed and spend more time cleaning his bike
    2)A hand man with some extra time on his hand would pay $16 for a base gasket (16774-86D) and head gasket (16770-84D)
    Wheel barrow the frame, pull the wrist pin from one side (22589-83B) and leave the piston in the cylinder. Scrape and replace the gaskets and re assemble.
    3)spend more money on a cosmic gasket kit and replace both top end gaskets?
    4) do it right and buy new pistons and barrels have some head work and intake work done, replace the cylinder studs (16832-86C)

Really good advice Squidbuelle !!

:)

Squid covered it pretty good. If your doing it yourself, go all out. #4. Ive done a large number of head and engine R&R ive never bandaid or half assed a job to date. Never had a return issue in 7 years of wrenching. Im young still but holding myself to a high standard has paid off. Not floating my own boat, quality work on a customers vehicle has always outweighed my own. With the exception of my buell.

Man, I wish I could do an 1050cc kit...or even the 1200cc kit!! But a lil out of my budget, luckily I am pretty handy with a wrench, so I'm thinking of doing a thorough cleaning and rebuild, assuming the pistons and barrels are in good shape.

Its a pretty simple job to be honest. Just make sure its not just your crank breather hose by the starter before hand. I found this on mine after I already had the motor apart. I used the cometic top end gasket kit on my xb9 and have had great luck. And I rip on mine :)

With less than 12,000 miles there is no need for new pistons and cylinders, its just a waste of money. Even at 20k miles the bore in my bike was perfect and the pistons looked great, new rings and a hone was all that was required. Lapping the valve seats and even cutting if necessary is a good idea, spray some brake cleaner on the head with it flipped over to see if it leaks by the valves. If it will hold the liquid there is no need to lap the valve seats. The studs are not torque to yield but it doesn't hurt anything to replace them I guess, still kind of a waste if they are in good shape.

I agree engine work should be done right but that doesn't mean you need to replace everything. You should do both cylinders for sure though.

^^^^^ Agree 100%...especially as he is on a budget. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast