Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreaded rear base gasket leak...

i did my base gaskets probley 3-4 years ago. i also have an 05 and it was right around the same mileage. i went right to harley and got new gaskets. they updated them at some point and the ones i got were made of metal instead of paper like the old ones. i did it in one weekend. Wasnt too bad of a job. The only thing i replaced was the base gaskets and head gaskets. Pulled everything apart. pulled the jugs off the pistons and everything. slapped the new base gaskets on and threw the whole thing back together. That was about 6000 miles ago and i havent had any problems since.

I've noticed this on my bike as well. It's new to me this year and the po babied it. I ride it like its supposed to be ridden. I just changed to Mobil 1 a few weeks ago and now I've noticed this leak. I read somewhere that Mobil 1 can cause this leak??? True/false?

Should I check the breather tubes etc?

I doubt a motor oil by itself can cause this. It wouldn't hurt to check the breather tubes. As for the cause of the leak, these sportster type Evo engines are known to do that. With the different metallurgy of the alloys n such, they require a decent warm up period for the surfaces to equalize. most leaks occur when you don't let the bike warm up before you start revving it.

Hmm, I always warm it up for at 3-5 minutes at the minimum. I'm due for 10k service so maybe ill have them look. Hoping its nothing serious

Mine is pretty cold blooded, I warm up for 5 min @ idle. And ride easy for the next 10 min. If she's not good and warm, she sputters a bit if I nail it.

I read somewhere that Mobil 1 can cause this leak??? True/false?
    The shop that did my valve seats and honed my cylinders said they see it most when people switch to mobil 1, but i have a hard time believing that. Even if its true the oil is not the real problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12