Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on this exhaust leak??

It looks like the two pipes have never been slid together in the first place, and it looks like they used the exhaust clamp as a spacer.
    The craftsmenship on the 2006 and up headers are kinda subpar. You can try to loosen the bolts on the heads and try to roll the header down a bit. But I don't think that's going to help you much.

Your best bet is to rewrap your header over the gape and cover it back up with the exhaust clamp and call it a day.

Thanks guys!!
    Well since it's lined up and just needs to be longer. I'm thinking about just adding an inch to the collector end. I've got the tig welder just need the stainless.

i like it.

Deff looks warped to me. Just looking at the bends mid pipe it apears go be up and out a bit. This is not the 1st set of headers I've seen warped after being wrapped.....

This is not the 1st set of headers I've seen warped after being wrapped.....
    Yup not going to wrap any header in the future. Ceramic coating if I can justify the price.

Resurrecting an old thread. I had to get at the kickstand bolts and I noticed that the header seems to have 'pulled up' as in these shots when I took the muff off. My '08 XB9 city does have wrap from the previous owner.

Rather than mess with adding to the header, I'm thinking that I'd just add to the muffler inlet pipe - it's easier to get the muff off and mod'd.

In theory, you *could* do a stepped slip fit to cover that gap. One end slightly larger than the header outlet, the inlet into the muffler is roughly 2" OD. Get a short piece of 304 stainless about 2" long, maybe 2.5". Expand out the first inch of it so it slips over the header, cut slots in it so it can be clamped down with the stock clamp. Buy an additional clamp for the muffler, put it all together and secure it as required. Any local muffler shop should have an exhaust expander machine. Sure, it would be 2 pieces there, but it would work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12