Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 mpg less than advertised?

Just bought a yellow 2003 Blast from Tucson Harley for $2,000 out the door on Saturday. 2,4XX miles on it when I bought it. V&H exhaust and what appears to be a BUELL intake with a K&N filter (with a shield over its right side). No idea if it has been jetted. Just drove it about 450 miles back home to CA. I'm getting 49-52 mpg riding 70-80 mph most of the time. Does this sound normal to everyone? I expected better mileage out of it regardless of the performance mods. It seems like it must be wasting gas to lose that much mileage from the factory claimed 69 or 70 mpg. When I modified my 06 Nightrod (Power Commander, air filter, removed baffles), I lost 5-9 mpg, but the factory tune was so lean, it barely ran. Thoughts and ideas anyone?
    Also looking for a taller and more comfortable seat at a good price. It came with the low profile seat, and its not gonna work for me or my girlfriend. Thanks!

Slow down to about 60-65 and I'd bet it goes up by 15+ mpg.

Riding Blast! at around 80mph is close to it's max speed. It's like driving regular 4 cylinder car at around 120mph. Obviously mpg goes to ****...

when i had my blast with the V&H exhaust, rejet, and a K&N air filter, i usually beat the piss out of it and got about 45ish. you kind of have to beat them to keep up with traffic. I ride my xb9 normally and manage around 45 now too, and when it's hot in the summer time, i actually got as high as 58 on some long rides. A lot of it is how you accelerate and how cold/hot it is. Cold temps make the air going into the engine more dense which means more power, but more power also = less MPGs.

Out here in the Southwest the speed limits are higher. 70 or 75 in AZ desert. 65 in CA, but everybody speeds. Driving slower than 65 might get me run over on this little thing. Only thing I passed on the trip was the occasional semi that wasn't grossly speeding. I did hit 90 breifly once, and it felt like it would go faster.

I had a Blast for a while but mainly used it as a back and forth to work and around town ride. Regularly got right at 70, but that's no highway, or high speed. I would have to agree that the bike is working pretty hard after 65 or so, and it's pulling a bunch of fuel.

Advertised MPG claims by the manufacturer are a best case scenario tested under controlled driving conditions on an unmodified bike. My Blast with a Jardine pipe, rejetted carb, and K&N air filter is probably getting less than 50 mpg.

Have had my Blast for 9 years and to date my best mpg is.......78.1. That is babying it though of which I am an expert. Even when I beat on it I can usually break 60. Sounds like you beat on yours more than I do though. I almost never exceed 65mph and that 78.1, I never exceeded 60. I agree with the others she is working pretty hard above 75.

if you turn it back to stock you will get better mpg. i will trade you my stock airbox for your intake :D

jakub7: No thanks, its hard enough being speed limited by the setup I have. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong. I'll ask about my other issues in other posts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast