Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytona Owners

Alright I know some of you own Daytona's or have ridden them. I've had my eye on one for quite some time. I've read nothing but good reviews on them so far. I have a 9R right now that i don't think I'll ever be able to get rid of. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say when it comes to comparing the Daytona to a firebolt. is there anything about the firebolt that you like more than the Triumph besides "being different". What do you like more about the Triumph over a Buell?

I'll have the money in the spring to get a second bike, which if i dont get a Daytona I'll get a DRZ or something similar to go exploring on all the fire roads and trails around my home. I just want to be as informed on the decision as possible, a Daytona will cost a lot more than a Dual Sport!

I had to opportunity to ride a couple of them. My last experience was on the Track in which I got to compare it to the Jap Bikes, and the Ducati 848. The bike handled great on the track. (I like a Loose twitchy bike on the track). Within 1 lap I was dragging a knees, power wheelies with WFO throttle on the straights, excellent roll on power exiting turns. The top speed seemed to be on par with other 600's. I was about 2 seconds slower on the other Brands with the exception of the Ducati (hard to beat Ohlins) when the Bike is setup for your weight.

On the street suspension was a tad to soft to me, but with some tweaking, and a day of riding I think I could get it to where I would be very statisfied. The riding position did not seemed to be overly aggressive as compared to the other brands. I got about 60 miles on the street and some twisty roads. I was not fatigued at all. Others I was ready for a leg strech after about 30 minutes.

IF there is one thing I could have to have the best bike possible.... it would be to take the low end grunt/torque of the Buell and have it with the Triumph thru out the whole RPM range... Have to Turn about 3500 RPMS to get it rolling...

I was about to buy a 675 until I got quoted for full coverage on it and decided to say no to that. So i went with the Buell I have a lightning though. I've never ridden a firebolt, but I feel that if you want a sport/track bike you need to get something that was designed to be one made by a company that has had years of historyand experience doing it. Like an R1 or CBR. The 675 is a sweet looking bike for sure, never ridden one though. I think the Buell is meant more as a street bike (even the firebolt). I don't think I could ever swap my lightning for a 675 but having both would be awesome!!

I would rather have the street triple. It's just so ridiculously user friendly and streetable, and you still get that awesome inline 3.

they are apples and oranges. the daytona does everything better. you've got to ride one to understand it though and I do highly recommend riding one before jumping ship and investing the money. Like Semperfi said, its not exactly the most comfortable street bike. I rode mine to work for a year before converting it to track and do not miss it for one second in comparison to my xb which I now ride daily instead.

actually, the buell does one thing better....break necks.

I would beg to differ with thewomanrules. that triple motor makes torque everywhere....just more from 3k up...like my xb12. The street triple would give you even more low end grunt, but the daytona sure isnt lacking either.

955i is a sweet bike and its damn durable. Its missing some grunt compared to my buells tho. I sold mine a few years back and got a speed triple its right between the xb9 and xb12 powerwise. Nuthin beats the buells when it comes to dropping in on a corner IMO. The Daytona doesn't like bumpy roads and it always felt twitchy especially under full throttle exiting a turn. For along time I thought it was something slightly off maybe with the wheel balance but after new tires, rebuilt forks, new bearings and a rear hub rebuild with same twitchy results I chalked it up to the bike and traded up to the 1050.

The street triple would give you even more low end grunt, but the daytona sure isnt lacking either.
    . Is that just due to the gearing?

It'd be easy to change out sprockets with these bikes

My mom owns a street tripple and i can say its ****ING fast.The gear box has a wierd feel to it to me because the gears are so close. When you shift you have to double check because it doesnt feel like it (unless your ringing its neck). it was a very nimble bike alot like the buell. very similar seating/riding position. not as torquey as my xb9 with the race kit but it was very comparable. its top end is where it impresses me. After 100mph this thing still has 3 gears and a ****load of power. IF i had my choice i would go witht he R version to get the adjustable suspension and brembo brakes. the standard street tripple is non adjustable and nissin brakes. But after riding both and having the money i would get the buell and spend the rest in upgrades. the buell is just so much fun to ride. If i was in your shoes i would go with the drz its a hell of a bike and you got a street bike get somthing for anyther pallet IE dirt and fire roads. just my 2 c

I second the guy who recommended the speed triple if you're gonna go with a triumph. I like the daytona, but for price/performance, at some point it's almost worth it to get a cheaper jap bike and be another brick in the wall. Otherwise you'll be super unique with your more expensive to repair and less powerful British bike.

less powerful? up until 1997 speed triple was at 108hp. After, was around 130 and is currently 129 for 2011. I am using wikipedia, but please prove me wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast