Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compatibility of stock exhaust on different years

Hey all,

Does anyone know if the stock exhaust from an 09 XB9S is compatible with an 03 XB9S? I know the 08+ have an added sensor inside them where as the lower years do not, but will that make a huge difference?

Thanks

all xb exhausts will work with all xb bikes provided that they have the appropriate headers to go with the exhaust.

So just to clarify, I wouldn't be able to use my stock headers with that muffler? I would need to get a set of 09 headers?

No there's american and European headers(if i remember right) not big into the xb just read about every post that has been up since i joined lol

the headers all collect into the same opening, the diameter is just different until you get there between the xb9 and xb12, euro bikes are also different diameter but collect into the same opening. The only one I'm aware of where it wouldn't work was a 2010, but it was never confirmed that it had stock headers or not.

What do you mean added sensor in the stock exhaust? I've never seen a sensor in an exhaust can......

What do you mean added sensor in the stock exhaust? I've never seen a sensor in an exhaust can......
    Sorry, I'm not quite sure what the actual name is but I remember reading that certain bike years had a slight difference in their exhaust that would throw a code if not working properly or plugged in. I've only owned my 03 XB9S and SL that I bought with aftermarket exhausts.

I don't like the Jardine exhaust currently on my XB9S so I was going to pickup a stock pipe and send it to Odie, I just wanted to make sure an 09 pipe would work without issues before I dropped the cash.

You are thinking about the interactive exhaust valve. That valve is only on the 12's. Any 9 pipe will fit your bike unless it is a European 08-10. Those have a different collector size that will not fit the standard OEM can or any slip-on. If you do find one with the valve in it it can be wired open or removed when the exhaust is modified. The valve connects to a servo motor via a cable. Yes, the can you are looking at from a 2009 xb9 will fit your bike.

Ah...ya I couldn't remember exactly what it was called.

Appreciate all the responses guys!

With most of the Xb Models of bikes 2003 or newer take Modifications when other Desired means comes to mind. NOT to worry it Can be done ! Now, (XB's) the 2008/thru/2010 XB's have A Butterfly Valve[ Inneractive Exhaust], in the Muffler which was designed for Max., horsepower at Midrange Throttle Response. STOCK ECM AND Stock Engine.
    With just a little work it will Fit very well. You Must Remove the Valve to get the Correct Response Throttle Wise that Exhausts need on the inside of the Muffler itself. A Good Muffler Shop OR Welder you hopefully Know can remove the Valve and Pipe the area where the Valve was removed .
    NOW as long as YOU are Carefull it isn't all that hard to Remove it. Then just pipe the area where it was removed. THERE are You Tube Videos to go by if you are so inclined to Attempt. We as Buellers are here to help you if needed. As long as you do it right the Exhaust will sound really good and the Muffler will as long as the Piping is Connected properly and NOT just a Gutted Muffer pipe.
    YES it is easier to just remove the Insides and just weld it up . Cheap too ! However many Know the Midrange Horsepower will suffer greatly. Check out the You Tube Videos OR Slice it Down the Middle and be Carefull with your Project as Always Be Safe.
    There are Mods to look at here on the Forum also so check out several ways an pick what you like OR what is best for the Bikes MidRange Horsepower. the 2003 XBs' can run real Sweet when done properly Exhaust wise,
    You might even want to Bolt it up Loosely and check the Header to Muffler Connection, you may need a Muffler Shop to make you an Adapter OR Sleeve for the perfect fit to work properly on the Headers. Good Luck. *Jimi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast