Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons: powder coating vs anodizing

I've got the bike torn down for powder coat and decided I wanted to change the look of the forks as well. Originally was going to powder coat, but have also considered anodizing them.

What are the pros/cons of of each on the forks?
    Anyone anodize their forks? Pics?

Powdercoat is thicker?

Aren't the forks cast? If so they won't look too good due to the porous surface.

In general though:

-They're both fairly strong
    -Powder can chip where anodizing partially penetrates into the aluminum so it can't chip.
    -Anodizing is more prone to fading
    -You have nearly an infinite amount of colors to chose from with powder.
    -Powder is thicker so it increases the size of the part dimensionally more than annodizing does

That's off the top of my head. You may want to talk to annodizers and powder-coaters to get there opinion and/or read up online for more info.

Aren't the forks cast?
    I doubt it but maybe. Ive always assumed they were turned from tubing. anyway they have been anodized before.

Johny Kidds bike
    http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...-XB-12S--07/2/

I doubt it but maybe.Â* Ive always assumed they were turned from tubing. anyway they have been anodized before.
    Maybe so on the top portions but the bottom where the axles go through and the fender is mounted is definitely cast. I'm guessing Johnny Kidd didn't anodize those. Either way...Good info. Thanks!

Maybe so on the top portions but the bottom where the axles go through and the fender is mounted is definitely cast.Â* I'm guessing Johnny Kidd didn't anodize those.Â* Either way...Good info.Â* Thanks!
    for sure. if you go through his thread he painted the lower pieces. i assumed Netty was talking about the uppers the whole time.

All Powder.

Oh9bolt, i know that seemed like some what of an obvious question. BUT The reason I'm asking this question is for several reasons.

My powder coater wouldn't spray the cast portion on the bottom of the fork because of the valve inside the damper. He was afraid he would damage it not realizing how it was constructed. I took it to HD to break the forks down and they recommended not pulling that valve. Said it may cause too many problems in the future??? They recommended anodizing both fork tube and fork base. Not sure how that would work either if the valve was still in place.

If I I just leave the fork base as is and powder coat the rest, that leaves me with powder coating the triples graphite gray, the tubes gold, and leaving the base of the fork silver. IMO that will look odd considering I have already powder coated the rest of the bike graphite gray. I'm sort of at a cross roads.

As for the anodizing, if you look at Ohlin's, they chose to anodize. Why? Was it a cost decision, or a performance/durability decision?

So I guess the question would be for those(Hammer) who have powder coated their forks, did you pull the valve on the fork base? I don't think Johnny Kidd answers here much anymore.

And thanks to all who have helped out in this thread! +1

Thats not my bike, I own a Powder shop and that bike was shipped to me in boxes. The bike was involved in an accident not long after this photo and was totaled (rider ok and back on 2 wheels). There is no issue coating the lower portion of the forks and removing the valve is not an issue. What i did in the above photo and all other forks is a complete breakdown of the fork tubes. I dont separate the slider from the lower portion, I just mask the entire slider portion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast