Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breather re-route minus catch can

Re-routing the breather hoses and was going to put a catch can and filter at the passenger peg.
    Noticed while doing this the fuel vent is already at the passenger peg and has nothing on it? No filter or can? Seemed too easy so I followed the same example and run two vents with 3/8" fuel lines down the side of the motor behind the air scoop and oil cooler. They terminate in Chin spoiler and have not left any residue there are at all. I have only been running for the last day and a half with it? So will see how it goes?

While i havent done this mod, the main reason for the catch can is to prevent the mixture of water and oil from getting on your rear tire (or anywhere else on the bike). You may think about adding a small stopper or catch just in case.

Leave it open. If you plug it up you will build excessive crankcase pressure and can blow out seals/gaskets causing oil leaks. At worst, put a filter on it and plug it up, but I recommend just leaving it open. A couple drops of moisture/oil over hundreds of miles won't cause you to go in to a tail spin.

I just did this mod this weekend without the catch can. I ran a T off the vents and ran the hose to the same place as the fuel vent. I zip tied them together and have the crank case hose against the rear set. Looks just as clean as before and the hose is facing straight down.

Inactive
    what sean and fla said. i have 3 buells, all with re-route, and none with catch cans. in combined 12,500 of miles on all 3 i have yet to see a single drip from any of them. disconnect the hoses at each rocker cover fitting, get yourself some correctly sized T's and black fuel or vacuum hose, and plumb it. run the line back to rear of frame near fuel vent hose. fiddle with it until you terminate the hose where it looks and works best...use your judgment. then clamp everything. an incredible little device to use when doing this is a Hayden positive crankcase vent valve. pricey but a damn cool and functional little gizmo.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hayde...9,r:1,s:0,i:93

same here, vent hose is dry...

My bike has been setup that way for years T-Bone. I always wondered why others where filtering exhausted air and collecting water vapor. Look for some TYGON hose, it is used in aviation for crankcase/gearbox drain setups. Its thinner cross section will make a cleaner install.

If you put an air filter in the line, you won't have the pressure issues and you can install the catch can.

I run no catch can. I had a petcock at the end of my hose when i first did it but eventualy it plugged up so i removed it.
    Ive seen alot of crap come outa mine after long humid days of riding cleans up the air box for sure.

All:

I thought about doing the same thing:

1. Install "T" in the two vent hoses).

2. Run the single vent hose down with the gas tank overflow/vent hose. No stopper-Just free flow drain.

3. And not install a breather nor catch can.

4. Plug the 2 holes in the air box base.

Do I need the breather or catch can? (mechanical or performance issues??)

I do not have issue with excess gas venting out to the side of the swing arm - It clears the swing arm and tires.

Please advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast