Thread: 2004 Buell Blast. Sat for a few months and now won't start.

It was starting fine before, but after it sat for a few months, it now won't start. The lights come on, and the engine tries to start, but never completely turns over.

to preface, I am a complete noob to this, so pardon my ignorance with a lot of this. I was told that it may be the gas that needs to be drained, and also the float bowl. I am hoping to be able to fix it myself, before resorting to taking it into a shop. I hooked up a battery charger, and charged the battery all the way, and added fuel additive to the tank, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Did you run the bike for 15 minutes givenor take after adding the additive? If not it did ya no good to stabilize it. The fuel line and carb might be gummed up. Could pull the carb off put some carb cleaner through it. Good check is spray some fuel down the carb see if it gives ya life

you say it never completely turns over, that sounds like a battery issue but if by turn over you mean fire then what crash mentioned is a good place to start

OK, thank you for the responses. I will check the carb tonight. The bike will try and start as long as the button is pushed in, but it never gets to a place where it can idle for 15 minutes. Is that what you mean, crash?

I was referring to before you put it away for months. First things first before you pull the carb, take the air cover off, get some fuel with the throttle held wide open spray it into the carb, crank with throttle held just iff idle, if you get a sure sign of life, your carb is full of crap, pull it off clean it out. Also if some bad gas got in the cylinder your spark plug is probably fouled. Pull that out as well, rubbing alcohol or carb cleaner with a tooth bush will clean it right up. Reinstall everything try again. Report back the progress step by step.

ok fist off was the gas off? with a blast is should always be turned off when you part it for any amount of time.
    Does the bike have gas?
    look at plug yet?
    Before you even pull the air box and carb just take a look at the intake boot for ****s and giggles. if you don't see anything or even if you do spray the intake boot with starting fluid (or anything that would help bike start) they go bad a lot.