Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little rust issue

I love my Ss, High Pro ECU and Exhaust but I knew it had a little rust when I go it this summer. Is this bad enough to go all out, strip it and have it re-coated or should I just go for a little remedial rust stop? I know the dealer race exhaust is pretty tough to find any more... Looks like $350 to Jet Hot (strip, coat, ship) - not cheap, but probably worth it.

Any thoughts?

350 seems like way too much. Mine looked just like that so what I did was just sand it really good and prime it with self etching primer and then some hi heat temp paint and its held up really well. Best part is you can touch it up whenever rust starts showing again if it even does.

Yeh, I would just strip and paint it myself, 350 is way high for that, see if you can find a independent powdercoater locally, shouldn't be more than 100-150 bucks

Inactive
    rook: i assume you're referring to what appears to be your rusty exh. system? i would remove the muffler, check for corrosion on the fastening clamp studs and nuts. then do what window and luigi said. you can use a scotchbrite pad and some penetrating fluid to polish up the header assembly, and try to find someone locally who will glass-bead the header-to-muffler clamp as well as the muffler for you. then paint muffler with most expensive high-temp flat black spray-bomb paint you can find. i am not aware of any powdercoat able to withstand exh. temps as luigi mentioned but i might be wrong. this muffler painted like i mentioned above and 2 years later looks perfect.

http://www.powderbuythepound.com/HIG...MUFFLER_BLACK/

I have this on my 1125 header (well, one of them) and it is holding up just fine after 8-9 months of use. Temp at the rear head on the exhaust reads about 725-730 degrees when it's hot. The coating is rated for 1200 degrees, so I'm thinking it's fine. I originally wanted ceramic, but the guy doing the coating for me still hasn't gotten set up for it yet.

Any local powdercoater can do it, just needs to be baked for this particular type.

Mine looked pretty much like yours .... started with fine steel wool with WD-40. Then polished it with high gloss polishing paste ....

before

after

Inactive
    adams: thanks for the info. not aware of that.
    big twin: that is AMAZING. how do you prevent more corrosion? just curious.

His is the stainless factory race exhaust, they do clean up nice

@ Lunatic : don't know ... lol I did last winter, rode all summer and it's still very nice. I wash my bike often thought

@ uly , yes factory race exhaust ... and yes It came out better than expected :D But, I'm very patient ...

@ Big Twin: Wow. Steel wool and WD huh? It turned out awesome. I'm hoping I can tear mine down a bit this winter and address this while it's apart - this will definately save some $$$!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast