Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Issue

Hey Everyone -

I am having an issue with starting my 2008 XB12R. I turn the key, let the needles do their full sweep, put it in neutral, flip the "kill switch", let the yellow light turn on/off and then hit the starter. I get a click and then dead silence and then it tries to turn over but seems like it barely wants to start. This morning it seems to have lost complete power after I initially hit the starter because my clock reset. Any ideas? I know this is a vague description but it is kinda hard to describe. I am not sure if I can run any tests, if I need to replace the battery, or the starter? Any info will be much appreciated.

Prob the battery. Check the battery connections if you think the battery is good. But sounds like the battery

Probaly the original battery and needs to be replaced. I highly suggest buying a battery tender also. If I'm not ridding its hooked up. This will increase the longevity of your battery.

Thanks boys. I went ahead and bought a new Gel Battery and it seems to have done the trick. The shopowner suggested hooking it up to a charger once a month for 3 hours to help extend the life of the battery. I appreciate your help!

Yes, proper battery maintenance will not only help the battery, but also help extend the life of your stator. Just to make sure your starter isn't pooping out either, you can hook up a voltmeter to your battery and watch the voltage drop when you start your bike. If the voltage drops below 8v or more, your starter could be going bad

After you Replace the Battery an Automatic battery Tender and connectors for charging inbetween riding will extend the life of the Battery.. Also after you do the Replacement make sure to check the Voltage with a meter when idling at the Battery terminals at different RPMs.this way you are sure all is doing good. 12.3 volts at Idle and as the RPMs will climb SO will the Volts till it reaches 14.5 max volts.There are manuals here on the forum for down loading if needed. Several areas pertain to every bike. Depending on the year. Good Luck. Ride Safe. *Jimi

Although the battery has helped with starting, I am still not convinced that this was the only issue here. I have gone on YouTube and watched a handful of Firebolts starting and they don't seem to have the delay that mine has starting. My 2001 CBR F4i started the second you hit the starter. My Firebolt seems to have a delay where I have to hold down the starter button with like a 2 second hesitation before it tries to really turn over. I am not really sure the best way to describe it, but any help would be appreciated.

Did you check the plugs and plug wires? I remembering my bike turning over noticeably faster after I switched to NGKs.

I didnt ride for about a week, maybe week 1/2 and went out to start it today and it didnt have enough juice to turn over. Is that normal? I changed the plugs to NGK's less than 6 months ago. I'm super lost on what to do here. I just replaced the battery and am not sure where to go from here. It has been super cold here and she is outside (covered) but I cant see that being an issue. Just trying to look at all factors. Thanks for your help.

Hello, and Welcome to the forum!! Your Buell especially the XB's and when cold is going to start with a Grunt. Push the Starter Button A Short Bump let it rest a Second please (don't grind it) and don't push the Starter Button long OVER & Over forever till it starts, Bump it let the Starter Quit and then try again. If you Turn over the Engine More than 8/ to 10 seconds let it rest a second most likely it will start right up after that if all is working properly. If this is going to work on your Patience and you expect the bike to be like any other you have had barely touch the Start Button and quickly off you go then possibly the BUELL Bike is not for you . IT will take Individual Tuning to do that .[ MORE on that another time.]
    Starting will be hit or miss at times. In Warm Weather a different story. Most times Starts Right up. Wait till AFTER the Yellow Engine light goes Off.
    Key on First then Start/Kill Switch. Then Turn it over. The Large Flywheel depending on where the Engine Stops at from the Last time the Engine was Turned off at the last ride.will depend how it starts. Now when Outside in a Really cold situation she is going to be hard to start. I Figure there is [more to this] but with not much InFormation at this time maybe a few ideas will help!
    The Flywheel is large on the Buells and takes a little more push to start the Engine. The Cylinders are Almost Straight up , Compression is usually good, the Starter is the same as the 883 sporty.(Sportster) and a few other models of Harley Bikes.
    Check your Terminals to see if they are snug. Also have you used the TPS-Throttle Position Sensor OR TPS reset method for the 2008 through 2010 Buells? That [has] to be done regular on most of the 2008/2009/2010 XB's. I do mine Every Fill up with the Key Turn and Throttle Twisting Method so the bike will Idle Properly and START Properly. This has worked for me since 2008.
    NEVER Touch the Throttle When Starting the Engine or you will upset the TPS Settings. The Bike may Eventually Start But Will run like Crap if touching the Throttle because it just isn't starting like the other bikes HERE let me twist the throttle that will help NOT so! AND May not Be Safely Rideable at all!
    You will find this TPS reset Method here on the Forum in the Mods Section. IF you can not find it post me and I'll Post it for you. or another Buell member will assist you.
    This is the first thing to do AND easy as well. AND gets it out of the way! Takes no tools just your Key and 30/ seconds of your time no large amount of keys on your Key Ring! Buell Key House key and wheel Lock key.etc...
    [How many miles] have you gotten on your XB? you need to read up on the Buells because this Bike is cool BUT a Different Animal altogether!
    Please Read up on your new to you Machine. Once you get enough Knowledge on your Bike then it will come together. How many Miles were on your Bikes Engine when you Bought it? Most likely the Starter or the Relay may have been Damaged from the First Owner due to not knowing anything about a Buell and has just about worn out the Starter winding it over forever or the Connections or Battery is not up to Snuff as so to speak!.
    NOT Saying that it is just a Guess from 33/years of Harleys and 24/years of the Buells.
    Don't get discouraged.
    The Buells are a misunderstood Engine EVEN a LOT of the Harley Davidson Mechs. OR Techs Dispise the Buells due to lack of Knowledge not all of them but more than most! [but once] you [learn] about the Bike you will be Ready for a Great Ride. YOU can't compare the BUELL Motorcycle to ANY other Motorcycle out on the Market.
    The Other Motorcycle you had was Geared Differently in the Starter than the Buell. The Whole engine is Different on the Foreign Bikes they have a smaller more even & balanced Crankshaft.The Starter on a Foreign Bike is WAY Differently geared!
    Next Time you Buy a Battery make sure it is for the Buell . If you can GET a 2008 Manual. The Gel Battery may not hold up.JUST Guessing on that. I Never install them OR use them cause the heat issues will cause problems later on.
    HAVE that Battery Load Tested OUT of the bike at an Auto Parts Store. That is usually Free. IF it was my bike I would take it back, and get a Buell Battery or an Sealed Maintenance Free. Put a Pig Tail Connection on it for an Battery Tender from Cycle Gear or somewhere and charge it before Trying to start and see what happens after you Reset TPS.
    The Proper Buell Battery is at least 200/ CCAmps. The Sealed Batteries work better on the Bike.
    Check all the small things first like- the Relays and then the Clutch may need to be Adjusted . [WAIT on that]! SMALL things First.
    Always make sure to have the Bikes Shifter in Neutral to Start. If the Bike tries to jerk OR Slightly lurch foward when Starting Even with the Clutch Lever pulled in then check in to that Clutch area.
    Don't let this posting Overwhelm you, just Trying to get you pointed in the right Direction. You will need to learn your Ride. NOW if you are looking for the Foreign Bike Experience from a Buell then sorry the Buell is in a Class all by itself! It Starts Differently Rides like a Dream when the Suspension is SET up for your weight. TorQue Monster when set up right. Take your time. Post up if needed. This Buell Forum is the 1st place to start and a good one at that. Hope it is an Easy Fix.Sorry for the long posing but you need to know these things. A Proper Running BUELL is Good For the Mind and Soul! Good Luck.*Jimi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast