Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another head light question

Just another head light question here.

The other day I painted my head light housings just like everyone else does. It helped my light output a good bit but I am still really not that happy with it. It is a lot better, but not what I would call really good. It already has 55w bulbs in it and they are very bright but I know a better reflective coating would probably fix the problem that all of us seem to have.

I looked but had found nothing on this idea…. I know it sounds like a real jury rig but what about taking heavy duty tinfoil and carefully shaping it, shiny side out, to the inside of the light housing. I know there is no way you could keep all the wrinkles out of it but would some wrinkles even matter?

I was just thinking that it would be a very cheap and simple thing to try and it would hold up to the heat for sure.

Anybody have any thoughts on it or ever try it?

Maybe duct tape for heating ducts? You can get it at about any home improvement store. It has a sticky back and foil like front.

Have you tried 100w bulbs?

My suggestion. Go get new housings. I got the high beam and the low beam brand new from buell for $80. Then get yourself a DDM HID 55w kit. Your problems will be solved with $120

Zero...what dealer did you go to for that deal and when? the cheapest I've found was 74 bucks per housing, high end was ASB at 94 bucks and that's just the housings, no bulbs, nada...bought a complete knock off set from ebay for 60 bucks free shipping...check out "my pics"

had clear H3, 12v 55w bulbs in the set, low beam bulb blew, so replaced them with blue ones of the same rating as the clear, they were much brighter, crisp light compared to the clear ones, no issues since...BTW, I ride with a smoke windshield on my helmet during the day and night, work the night shift and running one headlight on and the light is just fine during my 96 mile round trip ride to and from work.

I went to new castle Harley Davidson/buell in new castle PA. You need to carry a backup visor (clear one) or ride with clear safety glasses and have your visor up! I rode home one night with my tinted visor. That's some scary ****.

I'll have to look at my notes again, but think it was new castle that I had researched my parts from while gathering the parts for the S to R conversion...it's a light smoke shield, it's actually really clear at night, reduces the glare from oncoming traffic also mirror reflection from vehicles behind me, has the same affect as wearing yellow shooting glasses, have been riding like that for years now

What is this about painting the housings? I haven't heard of this. Any links to details?

Has anyone tried something as simple as tin foil in the head light housing?

If no one has, maybe I will give it a try and see what happens. It cant be any worst than it is now> :)

Has anyone tried something as simple as tin foil in the head light housing?

If no one has, maybe I will give it a try and see what happens. It cant be any worst than it is now>
    i think the problem you will run into with tin foil is getting a smooth surface. If somehow you can get it in there with out wrinkles it could work. I think an easier route is to buy some chrome paint from a paint store and try that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast