Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another head light question

Ok, i had the same problem. Is your high beam side still good? If so, the assemblies are the same for the most part. I moved my high beam back to the low beam back and put the spoon in. I trimmed the side of spoon.... not the top... and put HIDs on both. Works great, and I ride to work at around 5am with a mirrored shield, no problem. However, i have to worried about deer. I'll have to look into new ones because the oem bulbs melted the areas around the bulbs were in. I didn't use relays. i did notice issues at first, but found out it was the battery. HD batterys are a lot strong then most aftermarket batterys. The one i got from HD had 350 cca, the aftrmkt had only 220, and bulbs sometimes didn't come on. Crap battery died less than 9 months, which is why i went to oem that last 4 years.

I used the Stock harness and it worked fine no relays ect..

I found another article where guys were wiring in the system with relays to handle the load, did you do that with this system or just use all the stock wiring?

If the stock system is not up to it, then I dont mind putting relays in the system.

Does your low beam still work like a real low beam or is it going to blind everyone in front of you?
    Its all the same, The HIDs come with 2 bulbs, One for High beam side and One for low Beam side.. So it is the same as your bike is now..

**** The only difference is that the "low beam" is gonna be the same watts 35x8000k as the "High Beam" side, so what ever flavor you choose 6,8,10,12k is the color it creates, so when you hit you Bright its like day light.. Does that clear it up?
    I will post a pic here soon with one 35wx8000k buld in the dark then ill turn them bolth on.. get ur glasses rdy

Is the HID's just a bulb? If so, you still need the reflector to be good.

Here Low beam in the Dark:
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    Heres High Beam in the Dark:
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]

Pretty cool..

I'm curious is this a whole light insert that fit's in the oem housing? Or a bulb change? If it still relies on the reflective coating I'd say that's still an issue. Nothing against this just that the coating would still matter.

Just a FYI, the higher the kelvin doesnt equal higher brightness. 4-5000k is best for the most usable light. As you get higher than 5k you actually loose usable light.

DDM TUNING, there is a alot of people on here that use them and they have the best prices.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

snrusnak the oem coating on the Firebolts, at least on my 09 is not chrome on the inside it is looks like regular gray spray paint. 5k HIDS made a world of difference for me, I would stop worrying about the coating inside so much, as it isnt anything special.

Well I went ahead a purchased a set for my bike. They should be here next week.

About the coating......
    I talked with my Dad a little about lighting, because he is very good with lighting, and from what he was telling me with this type of light the reflective coating is not really important at all because the light generated is very directional. Kind of like an LED is. But with a regular bulb, most of the light is soaked up by a dark and or rough serface. Thats why the HID is such a good choice for the light issue that now I realize is a common issue with our bikes.

So I am looking forward to getting my new lights installed next week!

Did you get the DDM's?

I got the ones in the ebay listing above. I asked the seller a few questions and he seemed like an okay guy so I guess I will see what happens when I get them.

I know nothing about alternative lighting, but I just know that with the oem bulbs(filament bulbs), the coating needs to be very reflective. I don't want to change my bulbs but maybe this is a good alternative for others.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast