Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting a dog?

Man I just can't understand why someone would want to put a dog on their bike, and let it be known I am a huge dog guy, we have 3. There are so many other more important things for us to focus on while a motorcycle, I can't imagine constantly being concerned about an animal on my bike.

Further, I live somewhat out in the country and I absolutely can't stand it when I see these guys with their dogs on the back of their flat bed trucks or up on the tool box. I pass dead dogs on the side of the road all of the time from them jumping or falling off the back of the truck. It's absolutely avoidable and completely irresponsible.

Not trying to piss anyone off, just my opinion! Secure your animals properly! They deserve it!

^

Believe me, if there's no safe way to secure a dog on a bike, I'm not going to do it. I've seen people riding w/dogs-including one guy on a trike w/a basset hound on either side complete w/goggles and helmets, and have seen some things that are made for transporting dogs-including a trailer. But, having no experience w/this myself, I decided to ask here how to SAFELY transport a dog as I stated in my original post. If it's not safe, then that's all I need to know.

As to why I'd want to take a dog w/me is simple. I don't work. I have horses, and spend the majority of my day out at the farm where I board. I do what's called self care. I don't pay full board since I buy all my own hay and feed and care for them myself. I save quite a bit of money taking the bike to and from the farm. We are saving up to get our own land so I don't have to go back and forth to the farm everyday. And, I'm not going to get a dog and leave it at home all day long. I lost my dog over 2 years ago, and miss the companionship they bring.

Maybe think about some kind of trailer. I know most or made for cruisers, to-hitch and **** and that wont work with a sportbike or buell. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the cyclists use, a bar the arches out to get the rear tire plenty of room. I think it's something you could look into, I wouldnt want to take a corner to sharp and ride like you have your best friends life in ur hands, cause you will. But I think It would work for your needs and in a safe manner.

After looking at that picture I would prolly invest in some sort of doggy ear plugs also...hahaha

I fashioned a pet cage from a pet store so my wife could carry her Pom on her bicycle...should work strapped on a motorcycle. I would go farther and pad the walls just a bit. I thought about taking him for a short ride this spring to see how he likes it. He loves riding on the bicycle.

Has anyone watched moonshiners lmao......

Ok, hear me out.... What about a cat? Hes about 13 lbs if that. Hes a push over and rides in the car like a well behaved kid, if i didnt feel crowded i could probably toss him in my jacket and hed pop his head out with little care as to noise or speed. Id think a carrier fixed to the back tail securely padded for safety, hed be at no more risk than i myself. Same could apply to a small dog. I walk this guy on the beach hes a bad ass.

I couldn't even read half of this thread because I was laughing so hard!!! We need to help this guy legitamately set his bike up for a dog because I would really love to see it happen. I just hope he gets one of those long haired mop dog thingys, that would look great riding bitch on a Buell lol ;)

Ok, hear me out.... What about a cat?
    Psh cat? Nah cats are no fun, how about a ferret? And if we are going for weight proficiency and minimum movement, I would suggest a fish? Trout perhaps? Just put it in a big ass ziplock bag and strap it to the backseat and VIOLA!!

I'm sorry but the idea of a dog on a bike is completely ridiculous to me, but to each his own. I'm sure you could find a way to safely transport the dog but keep in mind it is also a living thing and has its own set of priorities and I can personally gurantee none of those priorities include proper motorcycle passenger procedure.

Wait wait... What about a "dog" of a girl, simple tinted visor no one will know, if shes thicker, well make sure the bike can handle the load before attempting such a haul.

Ima do it with a cat though, and a bald eagle on my shoulder, watch and see.... Said i was crazy they did... Said an eagle and cat couldnt be friends.... Ill show them! My cat will ride that eagle!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast