Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transporting a dog?

I say go for it!

That dog was definitely worth the beer! :)

Not to offend anyone but simple physics is why I will never take a dog in the car with me. In a 30 mph crash your average dog(50lbs) has about 1500 lbs of force.

if your dog isn’t worth the difference between 14mpg and 60 mpg then you shouldn't be owning a dog anyway.

think about the animal... what if you come off? if your dog is in your jacket and you crush it when you land are you going to be ok with that, or if it’s not in your jacket and you come off, do you want to see its guts strewn out across the asphalt. Helmets and goggles for pets are gimmicks for making money from air-heads, they’re not going to help that animal at all – are you going to get full leathers for the dog as well? Do you ride naked with helmet and goggles only?

I wouldn’t even think of taking my dogs on my bike – it’s just so incredibly stupid

^^^ this is like saying youd never take a hot girl on the back of the bike without full leathers. Think you guys are getting a bit harsh on this one, also missing the point of his question was if could it be done safetly, id say its possible. A smaller dog than 30lbs at least. Dont even think hes paying attention at this point.

the girl would have a choice wouldn’t she... does the dog know the risks involved and can it make the decision for itself? I wouldn't take anyone on my bike without full gear (not necessarily leathers, but jacket, helmet, pants, and shoes definitely).

Crash… you’re right… the question was could it be done safely – I say no – but riding a bike is only so safe anyway

That's right, the question was could it be done safely. And, that's all I asked. I didn't ask for people to come on and tell me I'm an idiot, or moron, or anything else like that. And, no, I'm NOT going to put it in my jacket.

I have seen people transporting dogs, even seen some things that are made for transporting dogs but have no experience w/it myself, so that is why I asked. Supposedly the only dump question is one that's never asked. Well, this forum proves different.

As to whether or not it's something a dog would and want to do, well I used to have a cocker spaniel that LOVED to ride on my nephew's go cart. She'd run and jump on it-even if it was moving!

There have been some people on here that have posted that they do somethings that are, IMO, incredibly stupid, like ride at speeds of 90 mph. And, not once have I come down on the person, called them stupid, morons, etc. I think I'm done on this forum.

I have taken Bullet and Mr. Chang for rides quite often. They love the rush of the wind and new smells in the air. I don't see a problem takin a dog or 2.

There have been some people on here that have posted that they do somethings that are, IMO, incredibly stupid, like ride at speeds of 90 mph.Â* And, not once have I come down on the person, called them stupid, morons, etc.Â* I think I'm done on this forum.
    Honestly, your right. I can think of quite a few things that I do on a regular basis that are much more hazardous than transporting an animal. And we probably gave you a harder time than we should've. But realistically a dog on a motorcycle is not something you see or even hear about very often and it appealed strongly to my sense of humor. I apologize for any offense I may have caused. Im sure all the others can attest, It was all in good fun, no one meant to be offensive.

Dizzy I think most of the harsh terms being thrown out are a knee-jerk reaction to the visual image that comes along with the results of a wreck with a dog on the bike. I don't think anyone is trying to offend you directly, don't take it personal.

That said, I will join many of the others in seriously urging you to NOT take a dog on your bike. I live in Austin and see guys riding around with dogs, including some dude that takes his full grown Golden Retriever sitting in front of him on the tank (no joke). Every time I see this it always comes off as the dude trying to look super-cool without considering the consequences.

No matter what size dog I think it's a monumentally bad idea for all involved. The dog doesn't know how to prepare or react to what's coming and honestly is unfair to put a dog in that situation. Whether the dog "enjoys" it or not should not be part of the equation. It's a recipe for disaster and quite frankly I think is irresponsible.

Reverse the situation and consider how you'd feel if some guy riding on a bike with his dog wrecks in to you and your family. It would be hard NOT to assume the dog-taxi aspect played a role somehow. Whether it be the dog moving in some way it shouldn't or the driver trying to maneuver with the dog as a priority in that decision. Overall a really bad idea. Keep the dog in the cage.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast