Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch issues

So im new to the forum. Just bought a wrecked blast from a buddy, its only got a touch over 3000 miles on it. Its been sitting for a year and half. Cleaned the fuel system out and it runs now. The problem im running into is the clutch wont engage. i did an adjustment because the lever was really loose and still no dice. Any suggestions on what my next move is? Thanks in advance for any help.

do you mean disengage?

Yeah sure.

what happens? so you start it in neutral and when you click it into first it lurks forward and stalls with the clutch lever pulled in? you havent really described what it happening.

I start the bike in neutral and with the clutch lever pulled it grinds. I hav ent actually shifted yet. And with bike off and in gear squeezing clutch lever also does nothing.

it shouldnt be making any noise in neutral. take the clutch cover off and take a look in there. maybe post a picture. take the ramp out too. and take a look around.

Well it doesn't make a noise when in neutral it grinds when attempting to shift. The clutch lever is tight but it doesn't seem to disengage the clutch. I am pulling it apart this weekend.

There is also and adjustment behind the clutch inspection cover. Turn cc until it bottoms the turn clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Also check for a broken lip in the cover behind the ramp assembly.

There is also and adjustment behind the clutch inspection cover.Â* Turn cc until it bottoms the turn clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn.Â*
    DO NOT BOTTOM IT!!! Common mistake that ends up with a clutch never fully engaging, if at all.

Loosen clutch cable first at the adjuster, then:

The adjustment screw should be loose. Turn it CCW (Counter ClockWise) until you feel it tension against something. STOP TURNING IT!!!

Now turn it CW (ClockWise) 1/4-1/3 turn (until you can fit the hex keeper back on, no more than 1/3 turn).

Tighten clutch cable at adjuster until there is only 1/8" of slack at the handle. Pull/Release the handle several times with the engine idling in neutral and re-adjust cable as necessary to maintain 1/8" play in lever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast