Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't Move Freely In Neutral

New to the forum but I am sure I will learn a lot here.

This is my problem:

My bike is currently in Neutral and wont move freely.. I pull in the clutch but still, no movement.
    When I shift into first and get it moving, I am hearing a squeaking from the rear end.

My guess is that the clutch has to be adjusted, but does this sound like another issue altogether (could the rear brake seize up)? What would it cost to rebuild/adjust the clutch?

Thanks!

Hey welcome to the forum! heres a must or people will flame you, pics or it didnt happen. Post something up.

My girl has a blast so im new to them as well, how many miles, what year, what kinda fluid you run in your primary, is it nee to you or have you had it a while?

A clutch adjustment and cable adjustment is a good place to start. Not to assume but sounds like your mechanical aptitude isnt all that great based on the questions youve asked.

If you have major transmission failure it cause cause the rear wheel to lock up, not to be mistaken or associated with the brake. Internal engine failure and seizing can translate to a wheel lock up as well.

The tuber guys would be the most helpful with transmission and primary internals i believe the blast shares more in common with the older buells vs the XBs.

Again welcome, try adjusting the clutch, the cable and even the primary chain can impact your ability to shift.

I'd check the rear wheel bearings just to rule them out? Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the replies folks!

You assumed correctly Crash, I am not (yet) handy with a wrench as motorcycles are concerned ;)

I bought the bike recently, and its given me nothing but problems. Supposing the cause of my problems is engine failure, what are the costs associated with fixing it? The bike starts up just fine, but simply will not roll in neutral..

Should I dump it and look for something else? I have about $1500 in it, 2005 10k miles.

So the bike runs fine? As in you can ride it, shift through the gears, etc.?

So the issue is it not rolling in N while not running?

Seems like it is either your brakes or wheel bearings. Remove the 2 bolts holding the rear caliper on and pull it off the rotor and set it aside. See if it'll roll freely. If not pull the rear wheel and check that the bearings move freely. If the bearings and brakes check out then the problem is internal.

^That's exactly what I was thinking.

Clutch adjustment or cable is definitely the first place to check

maybe breaks are too tight?

Make this simple, jack the back up by the back part of the muffler, see if the wheel spins while in neutral, should move freely. If not a drag from the brakes or a roughness should be obvious. In neutral the bike should roll around on or off. Maybe youre not even in neutral but the light says you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast