Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Issue Still

2005 XB12Scg -

Before I had an issue with the battery being drained some how. At two different times I had 2 different HD places look at it and they both confirmed that the charging systems was fine. They even tested my after market battery and stated that it was good. But didn't solve my issue.

So today, I went to the auto parts store for my truck. Get the part and out the door, put the key in the ignition, everything comes on and bam...nothing. I pull the battery off and have them test it...they say the battery is fully charged. I had it on the tender for my long ride tomorrow, just had them test it. Put it back on, turn key, everything comes on...go to start. And there is a whurring sound coming from the fuse/relay box...and then a strange smell. I put my finger on the + positive terminal and its getting hot.

When I bought it the tail light integration mode was done to the bike. And I've had the electrical issue since I bought it, the only thing I've done was update the turn signals with the Rizoma turn signals. But I've been riding it for the past few days without fail.

Now, its off to the dealership again as I have no clue when it comes to electrical stuff. Geez.

U might have a corroded plug behind the belt cover
    Remove the cover and open the plugs there
    If the r dry treat them with contact grease after u cleaned them

Update:

Well after looking for loose connection and worn wires I went ahead and replace my relays just to cover that angle.

Well, she cranked right up and worked on firs try. I still believe there is an issue with the fuse/box. I looked underneath and jiggle to see if any wires were loose, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure it would be to my benefit to have HD clean and reconnect all those connections. You would think they would have found a better way to stabilize the fuse box so it wouldnt be so loose.

But we'll see how long this will last. Just to recap, my battery is good, the charging system is good and now all my relays have been replaced.

Cheers!

My intermittant starting issues was a faulty switch...don't know if yours is intermittant though...

SlyFox - Thanks, I will definitely put that on my check list if it continues to happen. That and replacing the battery are my next steps if this continues.

Hard to trust her if I go out for a long ride.

Cheers!

So, to continue my quest. I replaced all the relays and decided to go ahead and buy a Harley battery. I reset the tps as it was idling terrible yet again (after coming from the Harley shop a week earlier and had the tps reset then).

So, she started like a dream. And she ran awesome all day...but by the end of my day I noticed a idle hiccup (more like a loss in power) when I was slowing down. But she didn't stall. And I stopped for a break, and she began to idle terrible again...but she didn't die. I rode on and she did well, but ever so often the same issue would happen.

Not sure if I have an electrical or mechanical issue...I feel she 90% fine.... Just need to figure out this last issue.

Cheers!

If U ever have an issue where it feels like someone turned the switch off and on periodically while you're riding, then check the ECM. It took H-D 6 wks and 6 attempts to figure that one out. That, combined with rear bearing, axle and wheel failure later that same year led to H-D replacing that bike with a new one. That issue took from July 4 until Sept. to get resolved, so I was without my ride for over 3 mos. that year.

77 vr connector look it up . i had similar issues . turned out to be the vr 77 connector that goes from vr to battery they tend to melt or build up arcin. 23$ fix. might be worth a look. all the best

Slyfox - Not sure if I have experienced that yet, but I feel I was closer to that a few fixes ago. But I will keep that in mind if I do lose total power. Thanks!

Kabuell - I will give that a go, since its a cheaper fix than rolling it into Harley. Hopefully this will do the job.

Cheers!

Kabuell - I will give that a go, since its a cheaper fix than rolling it into Harley
    Fortunately, my issues were covered by warranty. Funny thing...when I finally got warranty paper work from the first issues, the shop mgr. listed my Uly as "Buick".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast