Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding Posture

Hey guys,

I am a new rider and I currently have a buell blast. The problem is that I am 6'3" and most of my height is in my legs. Combine that with dropped bars, and they hit my knees!

So, I'm thinking about upgrading my bike when the spring rolls around, and I have a question mostly directed towards those on the firebolt.

I test rode a firebolt and it was the first time I rode a sport bike (as opposed to a street bike) and the leaning over posture was uncomfortable for me.

How many of you bought your first sport bike, found it uncomfortable, and got used to it? Do you just develop stronger arm, shoulder, and back muscles from riding?

Do most people not have any trouble at all just hopping on them and it feels comfortable (i.e. is it just me?).

Thanks for your input.

After about 1500 miles, I got use to it completely. You have to learn to keep your elbows bent and rely on your stomach muscles to hold you up. That way your hands don't fall asleep.

Administrator
    I thought it felt slightly awkward when I first bought my Honda CBR in 2000, but after I rode it for one summer I couldn't stand sitting on a cruiser or anything with a more upright sitting position. You'll get use to it and love it. I think it feels much better for fast braking, handling, etc. I guess that makes sense seeing that they are sport bikes.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

About how long can you ride your sport bikes before getting tired? Although I guess that is also something you build up.

I can go a full tank of gas. Thats as far as I've gone in one one siting(obviously I guess)

Dave xb12r - good comment on keeping your elbows bent. I just started riding this past summer and I had the toughest time with downhill heavy braking and learning to corner faster. Once I bent my elbows and used my abs/lower back to keep me in the right posture, riding was soooo much more enjoyable. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs. with long legs and my xb9r took awhile to get used to but after about 500 miles it's gotten more comfortable.

I occasionally have problems with my back, so I was worried about leaning over all the time. However it will probably be good for my back since it will become much stronger.

Thanks again.

Well, when yer butt starts aching,
    you'll forget all about your back.

A good friend of mine, who's NOT a little guy,
    rode his R all the way from Austin, Tx to Homecoming...

Seems to me, it's all about the bitchin' factor.
    Either yer hardcore, or yer not...

Special K

"It's a friggin' Buell, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears,
    the seat should be hard and riding it should make you $hit your pants every now and then. It's a fricking motorcycle, suck it up!"

--Scary MC, ADV Rider

Another thing that I found helpful with getting used to my XB9R was how far back on the seat you sit. that really helps me if I start to get uncomfortable on longer rides. Just my input.

I know if I'm cruising, a lot of times I'll lean on my left arm on the airbox, reducing some strain on the back. Don't do it a lot, just if I'm on a long ride or such.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast