Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new guy here, looking at an xb9r....is this just a seal leak?

When looking at a 2003 xb9r I noticed a leak and asked about it, here is a pic of said leak:

Is this likely just a seal, or a sign of other issues?

Seller says it only happens when sitting in the winter months when it is cold.

Fixed the photo, sorry about that.

My name is Tyler by the way.

Its hard to tell exactly where it is coming from. One thing you could do is spray that area down with brake cleaner and get it good and clean/dry. Warm the bike up and see where it is leaking from.

I didnt buy it yet, and if what he says is true, it wont leak when warm. He seems to think one of the seals is getting bad so when it is cold out it is not sealing as well.

It didnt appear to push any out after I had him start it, warm it up, then ride it up and back the road. So as much as his story seems unlikely to me, warming the bike up and running it didnt seem to prove him wrong.

As a side note the guy seems pretty honest and decent. Bike is extremely clean otherwise, he had it painted black and chrome dipped the wheels. No Mods otherwise.

He wants like $3,700 for it though with 15k miles, so as much as I like it I am not sure if this leak is a deal breaker. With these bikes, what would be the most expensive scenario for that sort of slow leak?

$3,700?.. hes trippin' I got a 12R the same basic year and miles for $3,000.
    Worst case, thats a Head Gasket but I cant see how.. that looks like main primary seal.. not a big problem really. Id offer him $2000 and then just walk away from it. There are alot of better deals out there right now on Buells. I wouldnt bother with a 9 at those prices... a 9 is only worth 1500-2000 (stock) to me..

$2000??
    He's not asking way to much but I'd ask him to take a little less for the leak. Maybe $3200. I don't think it's a major fix anyway.
    Prolly just a primary seal.
    Don't spray it with brake cleaner that will prolly remove the paint.
    A lot of folks prefer the xb9 over the 12 it has a higher rpm band and with a race ECM ,pipe and air filter puts out simular hp to a stock 12. Don't write off a 9 there great engines maybe even better than the 12?
    Concider the condition, tires,millage and age into the value if the bike was perfect I'd say $3700 is fair. I'd say if the plastics are in fair shape and tires have life it's worth $3200 easy.

Hard to believe it only leaks when it sits with the amount of oil all over. That means it leaks when its running. I would totally check the head gaskets+rocker box gaskets.

I would totally check the head gaskets+rocker box gaskets.

for a 03.. yeah 2000.. thats just me though. I want that extra grunt.. the only way Im getting a 9 is if it comes cheap and I would make it into a club racer.. the 9 qualifies for "Superstock C".. I dont think the 12 qualifies anymore, its 3cc's too big last I read.

top end gasket kit from LSHD1.com $78...primary cover seal $23...looks like the rear cylinder base gasket is leaking, check behind the cylinder and in front of the starter, also look at where the swing arm and engine mate on the left side, if it has lots of oil residue there, the rear cylinder is leaking...my '03 looked similar to the pic above without the primary cover leak though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast