Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: duplicolor paint shop.... anyone ever use it?

Well I'm looking at paint the buell... I got a few quotes to get it done and its anywhere from $600 to $1200.... I just can't bring myself to pay that much.

I started to do some research and looked into the krylon fusion but the orange is not what I'm looking for so I found the duplicolor local for around $60 for base color and clear. Then another $10 for adhesion promoter.

Just looking to see what some of you have used without getting fancy but still a decent finish.

I don't know what this is, rattle can?

I used dupli color rattle can (flat black primer, gloss black base, and clear) on my brother's bike it came out REALLY good. Just isn't durable enough for most people. He dripped some gas on it and it got hazy. Didn't bubble/peel or anything but the shine is gone on those spots unless you wet sand and buff it back to a shine. It also scratches/marks fairly easy.

BTW, I spend ~$200 on this. That includes sand paper, paint stripper, all the paint, visqueen(to make a small paint booth in the garage), tape, a fan to vent out the garage(cheapo), and a mask(good one), etc.

I will say the finish turned out amazing. As good as, or even better than most new cars, etc. He took it to the HD dealership to get it dyno tuned shortly after and they put it on display out front. They asked who painted it and he said "my little brother, with spray paint". They were shocked. lol, I was pretty happy and surprised as well with the overall outcome. It's been probably 3-4 years since I painted it and it still looks great(with the exception of the gas spots I mentioned).

It took me several weeks to do everything. Making the "paint booth", dismantling the bike, stripping paint, prepping, painting one coat an evening then wet sanding between each coat(, waiting a while for it to cure a little, then wet sanding/buffing, then reassembling. All done in the evenings a few hours at a time.

Dupli-Color Paint shop is laquer just like the aerosol that snrusnak used, just comes in quarts. A quality paint job can be had using it. But remeber it is cheap for a reason... obviously laquer will not last as long (granted most bikes dont encounter the same type of weather as our everyday cars do) The gas spots and eventual cracking and oxidizing are two very good reasons to spend a lil more and use a urethane product. And laquer is softer so it will be fairly easy to scratch but also easy to polish back out.

I tried the ready mix stuff on my truck tried 2 cans of primer and my gun just shot spider webs its like the paint was hard as soon as it hit air.. called duplicolor they said sorry and have my money back so I sanded it and went and got tractor paint from the case dealer. BOttom line I don't know if I got old paint or what but I won't use it again

Well I'm looking at paint the buell... I got a few quotes to get it done and its anywhere from $600 to $1200.... I just can't bring myself to pay that much.
    Unless spending this money negatively affects your financial well-being, pay the professionals. Long term, the powder coat or whatever you do will age much better and you'll wish you would've.

IMO powder coating is WAY better option(if the part can be coated). It's more durable and usually cheaper and easier. I'd powder coat what I could over painting.

Idk I just can't see spending that much on a bike I'm going to ride everyday and its going to get scratched..... then again I don't feel like doing it either. For $500 a guy at work will do it for me using ppg base and clear. I'm going orange so he said that is pretty pricey. He said 3 weeks down time..... I just don't have the $500 for a few weeks and by that time it will be riding time or could be raining who knows....

I just couldn't believe the prices I was getting I thought maybe $300 to $400 to $500 or $600 tops

Good paint material probably costs a couple hundred bucks, FYI.

My brother's sportster that I painted for ~$200(free labor) he got quotes of like ~$2000. Granted the durability would have been much better than it is. Still not worth it IMO (and his,obviously lol)

IMO powder coating is WAY better option(if the part can be coated). It's more durable and usually cheaper and easier. I'd powder coat what I could over painting.
    I agree. I powdercoated all of my buell plastics and they looked great!

what I could

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast