Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tools to carry on roadtrip?

Howdy all. I'm looking for recommendations on what I should have in my toolkit for a good road trip coming up shortly on an 07 xb12. I'll pack a 1/4" socket kit and ratchet with sae bits and t25 and t27. Metric and standard allen keys. 10-30 amp fuses, small and medium crescent wrenches..
    Anybody remember what size wrench or socket for front and rear wheels?
    Tire plug kit is on my list to buy. A couple bicycle co2 cartridges should be enough?

What else? Thanks.

Depends on how far you are going.

In my opinion, if its anything under 500 miles and going through towns/cities, you don't need anything tools for the wheel axles besides the nut that comes in the under seat tool pouch. Chances are you'll be in a populated enough place you can either get a tow to or be near a shop to take the wheels off.

I usually take a set of standard wrenches, t25/27 bits, set of ratchet/socket allen keys, zip ties, bungee cords, 1 quart of oil, water, folded up shop towels, an extra bolt to go in my shifting linkage, extra spark plugs, a pair of dykes and maybe a few other odds and ends.

Obviously a much longer trip would require a bit more

Nothing..... progressive road side assistance with trip interruption was $15 a year......

I got one them CO2 tire inflators, it took 8 cartridges to get 20 psi in the rear tire, and it will destroy the schreader valve, so pack some extra tire stem inserts

Inactive
    quality rain gear if you're riding attire isn't water-resistant....and ear plugs. and depending on time of year heated grips mandatory. icy cold hands can absolutely ruin a nice day of riding.

roll of electrical tape and zip ties are always useful

I always have a leatherman on me which has like 15 tools in one, the standard tool kit, and in my tail bag i have a spark plug socket, plugs, t25, t27 and a cresent wrench. And my trusty surefire.

I always have a leatherman on me which has like 15 tools in one,
    I totally agree, but I would recommend loctite-ing the fasteners on the Leatherman. Bikes with vibes, like our XBs, tend to disintegrate multi-component tools over time. Nothing worse than a toolkit full of pieces of tools when you need it most!

I carry the buell tool pouch and I've got some needle nose pliers and a 6 inch adjustable wrench. I don't know how you guys are carrying all these tools under the seat. The stuff I carry just barely fits. I have to force the seat down.

I don't know how you guys are carrying all these tools under the seat. The stuff I carry just barely fits
    Haha, true enough! One trick for packing electrical tape under the seat is to rewrap it around an old credit card....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast