Thread: If it's too loud...

If it's too loud...

I'm too old

Every Buell I've bought either came with an aftermarket pipe and ECM, or it was the very first thing I changed, because ya know... Stock sucks. Besides what the Hell is the point of a quiet bike?

So I got this '09 CR (my first one) and it came with a Barkers and a Race ECM on it, and all the stock stuff in a box. I drove it everywhere and did track days until the tip blew out the back of the muffler. A friend I met at the track hooked me up with a very nice Keda (which I had been drooling over for a loooong time, because we all know Dean makes the best, period) and even put the Keda race tune on for me. Wow! The sound was so much better/deeper, my butt dyno said it was faster, and holy **** L.O.U.D. Dean will tell you, listen to him.

If I rev it and decel juuuust right I could get it to backfire and it sounds exactly like a shotgun. No ****, a very big shotgun. Do it under a bridge and all the homeless people scatter. Mean you say? Yep! Sure is! It's a super fun game in the 'hood (if you are a total a-hole like me).

The weird thing is, I quit riding it. Not really sure why Maybe I was tired of the arm pump from trying to go >35mph with the .00000000243 degrees of rotation on the throttle, because at .00000000244 degrees you are doing 50mph. Maybe I was tired of buying stock in silicone earplugs? Maybe my grey hairs are growing into my brain. Either way it sat parked. Which is a sin. It IS! Thou shalt not let thine Buell lay unused upon the cold concrete, or something like that.

As a test for me, I decided to put on the stock muffler and ECM.
    Of course the stock muffler wouldn't fit because the giant voltage regulator that was mounted behind the front tire had to go up under the seat (barely, and thanks Erik for the huge amount of room for the wiring harness, NOT!),
    having a beer because I deserve it,
    installing the muffler,
    finding a gummed up nut-sert,
    having a beer because that sucks,
    removing the muffler,
    chasing the threads,
    reinstalling the muffler,
    stand back and have a beer,
    Hmmm, removing the muffler and painting it,
    having a beer waiting for it to dry,
    looking for the last goddamn socket head allen that went missing because I'm working on blacktop and now it's dark,
    find the goddamn black socket head allen and spin it in with my 1/4 drive impact,
    strip the thread because it's a ****ing 3/8" allen, NOT a metric.
    I guess I've lost a black socket head allen around here before?,
    removing the muffler,
    RE-chasing the threads,
    chug a goddamn beer,
    slam the ****ing muffler back in place leaving hand prints because it's not quite dry,
    still can't find the last bolt,
    go to get a beer and....the goddamn metric allen is in the fridge!?! WTF? I don't even know...

It's too late to swap in the ECM so I snugged everything down and fired her up. The good news is, she's quiet. Real quiet. So quiet, I can now hear the exhaust leak from the cracked front header. awesome.

I'll report tomorrow about how she runs and the ECM swap, but right now I'm going to grab a beer. And where the Hell is my remote control?

OMG i laugh the whole read. especially when i got the the fridge lmfao

I feel really bad about laughing so hard Cooter, as your misfortune that day would probably make any person start throwing hammers at the walls, but that ****'s funny!

Does your skirt blow up in your face when you ride it?

JK I have a wanna-be café 1969 CB500 for that. It's rusty and purple. Barney purple. My wife calls it my "Homeless guy bike", but spokes and kick starters will always be .

Ha! Easy fix. Get the Saddlemen seat with the built in taint-cooler There is a strange whistle when my wife rides it though, sort of like blowing on a blade of grass? Hmmm...

I like it, but the Lightning tails are still more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
    Cooter, I wish you did video of your bike and sound before and after. I know I would be very interested in seeing more pictures and video from this forum. I bet you guys have some really cool Buell's. I haven't figured out how to search archives here yet, seems a little elusive. Well time to ride and I hope my skirt doesn't blow up in my face today
    YEAH COOTER, why couldn't you have thought of that, in the dark, over the blacktop, in between cans, before organizing your essentials in the freezer. Sheesh.

I am guilty of leaping without looking more often that I'd like to admit

I do regret not having some things saved for posterity... Other things I wish I could forget: